PF336
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi I’m currently a student at the start of year 13. At the start of my A level course I had no intention at all of doing anything science-related. I didn’t really think much about science at all and chose 3 unrelated subjects. However over the past few months I’ve become really interested in a career in medicine. After working hard throughout year 12, I’m predicted A*AA for history, gov and politics and business, three unrelated subjects. My GCSE grades are probably about average with:

8 English Language(Resit)
7 Maths(Resit)
66 Science
6 History
6 French
6 RE
5 English Lit
5 Computer Science

Ive had a look and seen that for some med schools you can gain admission through foundation courses, however for most of which require you to have taken at least one, if not both, of Chemistry and Biology//require five 7s at GCSE. Some foundation courses such as Manchester do not require any specific subjects and provided you have your A level results the gcse requirements can be ignored. However this course has an 11:1 admission ratio and I’m not sure I’d be the most competitive as other students with great gcse results on top of A level.

My next option I’d think would be to do a foundation course and degree in a medical subject and then apply to graduate medicine. I’m not sure entirely how competitive that is as I’ve heard mixed views. This could also be very expensive and take a long time while there is no guarantee of a medicine place after.

I’d really appreciate some advice on the best route to take or I’d like to know if medicine is basically out of reach at this point. Would it also be a good idea to take an extra year or two doing further relevant A levels? And if so could gcse requirements be ignored if I had 5 A/A*s on A level?
Emily5243
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by PF336)
Hi I’m currently a student at the start of year 13. At the start of my A level course I had no intention at all of doing anything science-related. I didn’t really think much about science at all and chose 3 unrelated subjects. However over the past few months I’ve become really interested in a career in medicine. After working hard throughout year 12, I’m predicted A*AA for history, gov and politics and business, three unrelated subjects. My GCSE grades are probably about average with:

7 Maths(Resit)
66 Science
6 History
6 French
6 RE
5 English Lit
5 Computer Science

Ive had a look and seen that for some med schools you can gain admission through foundation courses, however for most of which require you to have taken at least one, if not both, of Chemistry and Biology//require five 7s at GCSE. Some foundation courses such as Manchester do not require any specific subjects and provided you have your A level results the gcse requirements can be ignored. However this course has an 11:1 admission ratio and I’m not sure I’d be the most competitive as other students with great gcse results on top of A level.

My next option I’d think would be to do a foundation course and degree in a medical subject and then apply to graduate medicine. I’m not sure entirely how competitive that is as I’ve heard mixed views. This could also be very expensive and take a long time while there is no guarantee of a medicine place after.

I’d really appreciate some advice on the best route to take or I’d like to know if medicine is basically out of reach at this point. Would it also be a good idea to take an extra year or two doing further relevant A levels? And if so could gcse requirements be ignored if I had 5 A/A*s on A level?
It's worth looking at Newcastle university. They don't seem to have any specific GCSE requirements or A level subjects. They just say on their website that you need 3 As at A level
TCL
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by PF336)

7 Maths(Resit)
66 Science
6 History
6 French
6 RE
5 English Lit
5 Computer Science

You can look at "Medicine with a Preliminary Year" at Cardiff or Manchester, although you may have a problem with your GCSEs. If you want to do it, you need to think urgently about the UCAT as it needs to be done in the next 4 weeks. See https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf

Newcastle is also a possibility. They do not require any science A levels, but you need a very high UCAT score (top 15%)
PF336
Rep:
?
(Original post by TCL)
You can look at "Medicine with a Preliminary Year" at Cardiff or Manchester, although you may have a problem with your GCSEs. If you want to do it, you need to think urgently about the UCAT as it needs to be done in the next 4 weeks. See https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf

Newcastle is also a possibility. They do not require any science A levels, but you need a very high UCAT score (top 15%)
Thanks. That’s some useful info. How much of a problem would my GCSE’s be. Manchester’s website says that GCSE requirements can be ignored if I apply with achieved grades. Would the average grades still hold me back?
PF336
Rep:
?
Hi, thanks, that’s some useful info. I’ve checked Manchester’s website in which it says that GCSE requirements can be ignored as long as you have achieved A level grades. How much of a problem would you consider my GCSE grades to be? Provided I do very well on all other aspects, would they still hold me back?

(Original post by TCL)

TCL
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I suggest you e-mail Manchester, I am afraid I don't know.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (229)
60.9%
No (78)
20.74%
Not sure (69)
18.35%

Watched Threads