(Civil Service) Interview questions - multiple example answers? Watch

Abc£
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi,

With success profiles entering the scene, what do you think of multiple examples in response to the "tell me a time when..." questions that I'm sure will still appear?

For people that have a decent amount of experience in a variety of areas, it seems wasteful/risky to put all your hopes on one example. Is it "cheating" to give multiple examples in the hopes of hitting more criteria? Will only one example count?

Similar to how it's extremely hard to crunch competency examples down to 250 words in a written application, they could miss important evidence unless you have a perfect (and you know, often fabricated) one-size-fits-all answers.

Anyone had experience of a success profiles interview?
LaurenEve1995
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Always stick to one example, they only ask for one for each competency they are assessing you against so you won't pick up any additional marks for mentioning more than one. The word count is small for a reason, they was to see precision in writing and confidence in your actions so multiple answers will only hinder you and limit the amount of marks you can pick up, especially on the written application form. Its always good to go to the interview with a few in mind though and then pick one to speak about that is best fitted to the question.

Basically, you need to show confidence in what you specifically did and what the results where in that situation so always say 'I'. They are only interested in you and they don't know your team so never say 'we' and always always say 'as a result of....'.

(This is coming from experience)
S1elyak1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's quality not quantity. I passed a CS interview with the success profiles criteria and only used one answer. If they want to know more information they prompt you, obviously the less prompts the better the answer you have given... as long as you hit the criteria either with or with or without the prompts they don't mind. Also remember, if you have an interview you can take in a few notes. I put a few bullet points down of things that I needed to remember too say. They don't mind you doing this as long as you aren't just reading from your notes constantly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (201)
24.13%
Pop (207)
24.85%
Jazz (33)
3.96%
Classical (46)
5.52%
Hip-Hop (157)
18.85%
Electronic (57)
6.84%
Indie (132)
15.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise