The Student Room Group

Is a good degree really necessary to get a top-notch job?

https://www.ft.com/content/8a2ee9b4-bd0f-11e9-b350-db00d509634e

Interesting article, although I do feel like too many people graduate with university degrees so overtime they become less and less worthy for employers. Getting relevant work experience seems to be harder than getting a 1st, that's what I felt when I read through this article.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by The RAR
https://www.ft.com/content/8a2ee9b4-bd0f-11e9-b350-db00d509634e

Interesting article, although I do feel like too many people graduate with university degrees so overtime they become less and less worthy for employers. Getting relevant work experience seems to be harder than getting a 1st, that's what I felt when I read through this article.

Bang on the money. That stupid catch-22 of needing experience drives me around the bend.
Never mind a fair number of jobs are starting to ask for, if not explicitly demand, post graduate qualifications these days (or significant work experience). Tosspots.
Original post by Napp
Bang on the money. That stupid catch-22 of needing experience drives me around the bend.
Never mind a fair number of jobs are starting to ask for, if not explicitly demand, post graduate qualifications these days (or significant work experience). Tosspots.

What do you propose? Do you think employers should priotise people without experience?
Reply 3
Original post by Student-95
What do you propose? Do you think employers should priotise people without experience?

Did I say that? No.
Original post by Napp
Did I say that? No.

So you're just moaning but don't have any ideas that would be better?
Reply 5
So you're just moaning but don't have any ideas that would be better?

I take it you don’t know what the word ‘moaning’ means?
Original post by Napp
I take it you don’t know what the word ‘moaning’ means?

Expressing dissatisfaction. You don't sound very satisfied, despite being unable to think of anything better.
Reply 7
Expressing dissatisfaction. You don't sound very satisfied, despite being unable to think of anything better.

No I simply think your response is pathetic and not really worthy of anything better seeing as your response was so risible.
Original post by Napp
No I simply think your response is pathetic and not really worthy of anything better seeing as your response was so risible.

Why's that? Typically when people moan about something they have ideas they think are better.
Reply 9
Why's that? Typically when people moan about something they have ideas they think are better.

Again, you don’t seem to know what ‘moan’ means.
Original post by Napp
Again, you don’t seem to know what ‘moan’ means.

I already told you what it means. What's wrong with the definition I gave? Or is this another example of you having a problem with something but being unable to comment on why?
Reply 11
I already told you what it means. What's wrong with the definition I gave? Or is this another example of you having a problem with something but being unable to comment on why?

No you urgent elaborated on anything. You accuse me of ‘moaning’ without knowing what the word means (a hilarious position to start with) never mind one your ‘argument’ is a lot of claptrap and is barely worthy of response. I mean if you actually articulate a respectable argument/point I might reply to it. However as your “question” stands, I have no reason to reply.
Original post by Napp
No you urgent elaborated on anything. You accuse me of ‘moaning’ without knowing what the word means (a hilarious position to start with) never mind one your ‘argument’ is a lot of claptrap and is barely worthy of response. I mean if you actually articulate a respectable argument/point I might reply to it. However as your “question” stands, I have no reason to reply.

What are you on about? Elaborate on what? You keep insisting I have used the word wrong but can't explain why. Seems like you don't know what it means.

What 'argument'? You've yet to say anything for me to argue with. You were moaning so I asked what you would do differently and you refused to share.
Reply 13
What are you on about? Elaborate on what? You keep insisting I have used the word wrong but can't explain why. Seems like you don't know what it means.

What 'argument'? You've yet to say anything for me to argue with. You were moaning so I asked what you would do differently and you refused to share.

It seems you still don’t know what the word ‘moaning’ means 🙄😂
Simply put o refuse to debate your “argument” because it is non existent. All you seem to be able to do is whine and make rather queer personal attacks. I.e. you are neither way worth arguing with nor have presented any points to debate bar bizarre quasi insults.
Original post by Napp
It seems you still don’t know what the word ‘moaning’ means 🙄😂
Simply put o refuse to debate your “argument” because it is non existent. All you seem to be able to do is whine and make rather queer personal attacks. I.e. you are neither way worth arguing with nor have presented any points to debate bar bizarre quasi insults.

So you keep saying but you can't explain why 😂
Seems you don't know what the word 'queer' means, hahaha.
What argument? I haven't made any arguments because you refuse to explain your stance. I assume because you were just moaning for the sake of it - confirming what I thought all along.
Reply 15
So you keep saying but you can't explain why 😂
Seems you don't know what the word 'queer' means, hahaha.
What argument? I haven't made any arguments because you refuse to explain your stance. I assume because you were just moaning for the sake of it - confirming what I thought all along.

You do know 'queer' means strange right? :rolleyes:
Okay kiddo :lol:
Original post by Napp
X

So what would you do differently?
Reply 17
Original post by Tonic Water
So what would you do differently?

To what specifically?
Original post by Napp
To what specifically?

The general requirement of having experience.
Reply 19
Original post by Tonic Water
The general requirement of having experience.

Oh i dont need to hold another idea of what should be done to take umbrage with a catch-22. Especially in the case of entry/graduate jobs where, by definition, its a touch tricky to have any form of experience to begin with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending