JordanC55
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I have recently graduated with an undergrad in linguistics and I am currently exploring paths into speech therapy. Having already gotten a degree, is it possible to get funding to train through the student loan system? Moreover, is that available at both undergrad and postgrad levels?

I’m quite confused as I’ve looked into it and there’s no definitive answer, on previous Student Room posts there are replies stating you can get funding, but I can’t find any confirmation anywhere. I tried calling SFE today and was told it only for those training to be a doctor or a dentist, but on here it seems Allied health courses are included in that?

In a nutshell, I’m looking for clarity regarding funding of Allied Health courses (such as SLT) as a second degree.

Hope someone can give some clarity!

Jordan
SFE Dean
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JordanC55)
Hi,

I have recently graduated with an undergrad in linguistics and I am currently exploring paths into speech therapy. Having already gotten a degree, is it possible to get funding to train through the student loan system? Moreover, is that available at both undergrad and postgrad levels?

I’m quite confused as I’ve looked into it and there’s no definitive answer, on previous Student Room posts there are replies stating you can get funding, but I can’t find any confirmation anywhere. I tried calling SFE today and was told it only for those training to be a doctor or a dentist, but on here it seems Allied health courses are included in that?

In a nutshell, I’m looking for clarity regarding funding of Allied Health courses (such as SLT) as a second degree.

Hope someone can give some clarity!

Jordan
Hello Jordan,

The Government announced that in the 2017/18 academic year new students studying Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health Professional (AHP) courses will no longer receive bursary funding from the NHS and will instead receive regular SFE support in the same manner as students studying non-NHS courses.

These courses cover a wide range of subjects including speech and language therapy at undergraduate level.

AHP courses will be exempt from previous study rules. Therefore if you already hold a degree or have previous study you will still be eligible to access the full package of funding.

In 2018/19, Postgraduate Healthcare courses were added to the list.

Eligible courses at postgraduate level must be:

- A minimum of 2 years in length
- Full Time (Distance Learning courses will not be eligible)
- Level 7
- Pre-registration courses in allied health profession subjects, nursing and midwifery that lead to a PG Diploma or Masters qualification

Again this includes speech and language therapy.

You would apply just like an undergraduate online and a designated course would appear on our database for selection. This is subject to meeting our other standard eligibility criteria here - http://ow.ly/6s7l30omvck

Warm Regards, Dean.
JordanC55
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by SFE Dean)
Hello Jordan,

The Government announced that in the 2017/18 academic year new students studying Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health Professional (AHP) courses will no longer receive bursary funding from the NHS and will instead receive regular SFE support in the same manner as students studying non-NHS courses.

These courses cover a wide range of subjects including speech and language therapy at undergraduate level.

AHP courses will be exempt from previous study rules. Therefore if you already hold a degree or have previous study you will still be eligible to access the full package of funding.

In 2018/19, Postgraduate Healthcare courses were added to the list.

Eligible courses at postgraduate level must be:

- A minimum of 2 years in length
- Full Time (Distance Learning courses will not be eligible)
- Level 7
- Pre-registration courses in allied health profession subjects, nursing and midwifery that lead to a PG Diploma or Masters qualification

Again this includes speech and language therapy.

You would apply just like an undergraduate online and a designated course would appear on our database for selection. This is subject to meeting our other standard eligibility criteria here - http://ow.ly/6s7l30omvck

Warm Regards, Dean.
Hi Dean,

Thank you for your response! So just for clarity I should be able to get funding for SLT as a second degree at undergrad level?
Lynsey SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JordanC55)
Hi Dean,

Thank you for your response! So just for clarity I should be able to get funding for SLT as a second degree at undergrad level?
Hello Jordan,

I’ve attached the list of AHP courses:

• Chiropody
• Dietetics
• Dietetics and Nutrition (Please note that these courses specifically have both dietetics and nutrition in the title. The individual course nutrition is not a valid AHP course)
• Occupational Therapy
• Operating Department Practice(Diplomas and Degrees)
• Orthoptics
• Physiotherapy
• Podiatry
• Prosthetics and Orthotics
• Radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
• Radiotherapy
• Speech and Language Therapy

As you can see Speech and Language Therapy is deemed an AHP course.

Thanks, Lynsey.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.94%
It's just nice to be back! (212)
26.97%
Not great so far... (281)
35.75%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.34%

Watched Threads