Will I get into trouble for this?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So the mot test failed on my car.

If something was to happen whilst on the motorway and the car stopped working can I go to jail?

If one of the faults appeared on the mot failed certificate is the cause of the car breaking down?

I'm not really meant to be driving it.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If your MOT has expired, the only circumstances in which you can drive it is directly to the garage for its test or to and from somewhere to be repaired. If you're stopped on the way by police, you must be able to prove that you have an appointment booked at the garage.

If your car fails its MOT you can only continue to drive it if the previous year's MOT is still valid - which might occur if you submitted the car for its test two weeks early. You can still drive it away from the testing centre or garage if no 'dangerous' problems were identified during the MOT. You will otherwise need to get the necessary repairs carried out.

If you are driving under other circumstances without a valid MOT, you could be looking at £1000 fine and having the car impounded. Which begs the question of what were you doing driving having failed the MOT? And why are you even getting behind the wheel if you don't understand the rules of roadworthiness? Legally you could be potentially paying more than the cost of repairs and not being able to drive if the car is taken away.
Anonymous #1
Can I still drive the car with the previous years mot valid?
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Can I still drive the car with the previous years mot valid?
See my second paragraph.
Kutie Karen
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don't you think you should also be concerned about other road users if you are driving a car without an MOT? It is not fair if innocent people are put in danger due to your actions. If you don't have MOT then please don't drive for everyone's sake. Be careful it is simply just not worth the risk!!!
Anonymous #1
If it breaks down can I go to jail?

Yes it's true its not worth the risk.
Kutie Karen
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
If it breaks down can I go to jail?

Yes it's true its not worth the risk.
Yes there is a possiblilty.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (183)
14.29%
I'm not sure (59)
4.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (377)
29.43%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (625)
48.79%

Watched Threads