THALCEDONY
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi I don't know what to write for "discuss what makes the psychodynamic approach so unique" in terms of AO1 and AO3. I am doing A level aqa psychology. Someone please help!
Magdatrix >_<
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For AO1, describe the key features of the approach - how do psychodynamic theories explain behaviour? personality? etc?

For AO3, explain some of the ways that this approach is different from others, e.g. in terms of your debates (scientific? reductionist? nature/nurture?)
kaia_maya
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't think they'd ask a question like that, but I'm pretty sure it's just a fancy way of asking you to compare (specifically contrast) the psychodynamic approach with other approaches in AO3. Like other user has said, use your issues and debates to contrast them
suzyboyd
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
how many a03 points would you make?
kaia_maya
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by suzyboyd)
how many a03 points would you make?
Short answer: 3 or 4 well developed points using PEEL.

Long answer: You could either do three or four depending on how well you develop them. A lot of teachers/students will say do three but people who employ this method often struggle getting full marks (or even 12/16) in the real exam. It’s hard for anyone to properly structure 3 AO3 points and get full marks. I honestly recommend doing 4 even though that might be intimidating. It means your paragraphs can be a little undeveloped individually but overall, because you’ve included 4 different points instead of 3, you’re more likely to get full marks. Obviously, if you’ve written an essay before on the exact same question and used 3 points and got high marks, then by all means include only 3 points. But for a question like this, where the question is kind of difficult and wordy, might be safe to write 4 (even if the 4th isn’t as good). Having said that, you don’t need to get full marks on 16 markers to get an A*/A/B overall so if you’re stuck for time or stressed in the exam about the essay question, just remember it’s not going to jeopardise your chances of scoring highly if you don’t write 4 points! (There’s also issues and debates that can act as a reserve).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24.34%
No (317)
75.66%

Watched Threads