Do I have to list high school/A-level grades on my CV for a Master's application? Watch

Aceturn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 weeks ago
Hi all,

I'm currently a First-Class student about to enter my third year of undergrad at a mid-tier university (ranked 65-75). I've worked very hard to obtain a First and want to do a Master's in a school somewhere like St. Andrews, LSE, Warwick, etc. however, my high school/sixth form grades are BBB. Would this affect my application at all?

Do I have to include them on my CV? Also, how could I maximise my chances of getting into one of these schools?

Thanks in advance!
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Aceturn)
PG courses aren't usually interested in school exams. You don't need to include them on your CV and they aren't usually asked for on application forms.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi all,

I'm currently a First-Class student about to enter my third year of undergrad at a mid-tier university (ranked 65-75). I've worked very hard to obtain a First and want to do a Master's in a school somewhere like St. Andrews, LSE, Warwick, etc. however, my high school/sixth form grades are BBB. Would this affect my application at all?

Do I have to include them on my CV? Also, how could I maximise my chances of getting into one of these schools?

Thanks in advance!
Usually universities will put way more emphasis on your first degree result and year averages, as your A levels won't be your most recent qualification anyway.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Nobody cared about mine
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by gjd800)
Nobody cared about mine
I couldn't even write down my high school grades on my PG applications even if I had wanted to since they only asked for me to slot in my university stuff.

@OP it's really rare for people to write down their high school grades for a PG application... It's really irrelevant and even if you wanted to you most likely couldn't as there aren't any options to indicate grades apart from university ones. For my PG applications they didn't ask for any C.V.s. It was an online portal where you upload your degree transcript and that was it.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
I couldn't even write down my high school grades on my PG applications even if I had wanted to since they only asked for me to slot in my university stuff.

@OP it's really rare for people to write down their high school grades for a PG application... It's really irrelevant and even if you wanted to you most likely couldn't as there aren't any options to indicate grades apart from university ones. For my PG applications they didn't ask for any C.V.s. It was an online portal where you upload your degree transcript and that was it.
I had to attach a CV for a couple but it's an academic CV, so nothing on there prior to university
Aceturn
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Quick-use)

Great, thanks
Aceturn
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
PG courses aren't usually interested in school exams. You don't need to include them on your CV and they aren't usually asked for on application forms.
Do you know if going to a mid-tier university will hurt my chances even if I did obtain a first in my second year?
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do you know if going to a mid-tier university will hurt my chances even if I did obtain a first in my second year?
Of course it won't.

Rankings and tiers barely mean anything when it comes to most postgrad courses.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's more nuanced than league tables at PG level. It's about the quality of your specific department compared to other departments of the same subject. If your research proposal is strong and your references are very positive, it won't make a difference.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate