How to Win the Game of Life - A Year 12 GYG Watch

atla1215
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello! Welcome to my Year 12 GYG blog. I actually tried (and failed) to do this for Year 11, so hopefully this time it’s way more successful! I’ll be posting my general experiences and any tips I pick up for other or future Year 12 students. Ultimate goal? 3 A*s!

I’m studying three A-Levels: English Literature, History and French. I’ll also likely be doing an EPQ later this year too.

I’m attending a college which I love so far. All of my teachers so far have been lovely and I can’t wait to get further into the course.

Current Stats:
9987777765 (GCSEs, had an awful high school experience littered with family deaths, inconsistent teaching and disasters, so I’m quite proud even though they’re not the best.)

Let’s go! ✨
I AM GROOT 1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Best of luck :rave:
atla1215
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by I AM GROOT 1)
Best of luck :rave:
Thank you, Groot!!
I AM GROOT 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by atla1215)
Thank you, Groot!!
No worries

Love the title btw
atla1215
Rep:
?
(Original post by I AM GROOT 1)
No worries

Love the title btw
Thank youuuu!!

5th September 2019:
So, my first week of sixth form is nearly complete! I’m seriously loving it. The college, tutors and people are amazing and I love my subjects even more than I did at GCSE!! Only downside is I’ve been wearing the same pair of jeans for four days (don’t ask, long story.) The style of work and lesson really suits me and I’ve met lots of lovely people. I have History & Lit tomorrow which is very exciting because it’ll be my first ever proper A Level History lesson! I’m getting into the habit of writing the day’s notes up neatly during my frees and then filing them at home. Hopefully it’ll save me some stress. Does anyone know how to explain the subject and object in a sentence? Preferably in French?
eg: She threw the ball.
Subject = She
Ball = Direct Object
If it were that simple then I’d be fine, but we’re doing compliment of indirect objects and I find them a little difficult to identify. Working on it for the grammar test next week. Craaaazy! Already having tests.
Anyways, I’ll update soon! Have a good day.
atla1215
Rep:
?
7th September:

My first week of college is officially over! I’ve been working really hard, rewriting History notes and revising French. At GCSE my French teacher made these stupid songs about conjugation but now I’m feeling so thankful because I seriously cannot remember conjugation! I’m going to write some tables for my notes and hopefully that’ll help commit it to memory. I had to write my first piece for A Level Lit and I’m convinced it was awful. I got a 9 at GCSE, and the method we used for poetry was tracking it. Apparently at A-Level you have to write thematically? I tried, but we only had twenty minutes to do it and I couldn’t get my head around it in such a short space of time. I’m sure it’ll come with practice. Either way, things are going well for me right now! I’m still meeting tons of lovely peeps and my teachers are still great. Hope everyones good!
mpaprika
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank youuuu!!

5th September 2019:
So, my first week of sixth form is nearly complete! I’m seriously loving it. The college, tutors and people are amazing and I love my subjects even more than I did at GCSE!! Only downside is I’ve been wearing the same pair of jeans for four days (don’t ask, long story.) The style of work and lesson really suits me and I’ve met lots of lovely people. I have History & Lit tomorrow which is very exciting because it’ll be my first ever proper A Level History lesson! I’m getting into the habit of writing the day’s notes up neatly during my frees and then filing them at home. Hopefully it’ll save me some stress. Does anyone know how to explain the subject and object in a sentence? Preferably in French?
eg: She threw the ball.
Subject = She
Ball = Direct Object

If it were that simple then I’d be fine, but we’re doing compliment of indirect objects and I find them a little difficult to identify. Working on it for the grammar test next week. Craaaazy! Already having tests.
Anyways, I’ll update soon! Have a good day.
I do German and from what I'm aware in the sentence 'She threw the ball on the grass' the direct object is the ball because it's what's being done by the subject and the indirect is the grass because the object is ''doing'' it
atla1215
Rep:
?
(Original post by mpaprika)
I do German and from what I'm aware in the sentence 'She threw the ball on the grass' the direct object is the ball because it's what's being done by the subject and the indirect is the grass because the object is ''doing'' it
Thank you! I was told it’s indirect because it has a preposition separating them, so that makes sense too. Thank you again!
mpaprika
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you! I was told it’s indirect because it has a preposition separating them, so that makes sense too. Thank you again!
it's ok haha, I suppose the preposition rule is easier than the one I tried to explain, but the indirect object is usually the second one in the sentence
atla1215
Rep:
?
9th September:

College seriously just keeps getting better. I’m officially a student rep! I’m so excited for the opportunity. I’ve been doing well at keeping on top of work etc but right now I’m just so happy about the friends I’ve made and the general prosperity in my life right now. I don’t have much else to say other than I really hope it continues. Totally winning the game of life lmao.
atla1215
Rep:
?
11th September:

I got 10/10 on my French Idioms test & my paragraph had only two mistakes in! I’m pretty happy with that. Apparently they’ll be deciding our target grades soon, so I’m really putting in the effort to get a good predicted grade and achieve it. French is giving me so much homework but I’m managing, and the lessons are always fun. I’d definitely consider a French degree if I wasn’t so set on Japanese. Speaking of, there’s a program on today with Sue Perkins in Japan. Unfortunately for me, je déteste Sue Perkins! I’ll probably still watch it. My old High School Open Evening is tomorrow night, so I need to go back and visit my teachers!!! Really excited to see them.
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Good luck! :rave:
atla1215
Rep:
?
(Original post by nyxnko_)
Good luck! :rave:
Thanks so much!
atla1215
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
12th September:

My only lesson today was English Lit - we had a brilliant conversation about the nature of souls before starting Dr Faustus. We also went over the importance of the Renaissance and Classical periods that influenced the play. Interesting stuff!!

I can hear the Yr 13s talking about University Applications and it’s stressing me out a little because that’ll be me next year. I’ve had a headache for two days, I really hope it goes away soon ((
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Try not to get too stressed about university applications at the moment :hugs:
Hope the headache goes :console:
romelia
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
11th September:

I got 10/10 on my French Idioms test & my paragraph had only two mistakes in! I’m pretty happy with that. Apparently they’ll be deciding our target grades soon, so I’m really putting in the effort to get a good predicted grade and achieve it. French is giving me so much homework but I’m managing, and the lessons are always fun. I’d definitely consider a French degree if I wasn’t so set on Japanese. Speaking of, there’s a program on today with Sue Perkins in Japan. Unfortunately for me, je déteste Sue Perkins! I’ll probably still watch it. My old High School Open Evening is tomorrow night, so I need to go back and visit my teachers!!! Really excited to see them.
hi! are you thinking of doing japanese at uni? i'm currently applying for it, and i also do french and history (plus politics, i did english in year 12 but i dropped) if you need any advice feel free to ask!
atla1215
Rep:
?
(Original post by romelia)
hi! are you thinking of doing japanese at uni? i'm currently applying for it, and i also do french and history (plus politics, i did english in year 12 but i dropped) if you need any advice feel free to ask!
Yes! It’s cool we picked mostly the same A-Levels too. Where are you applying to?
romelia
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Yes! It’s cool we picked mostly the same A-Levels too. Where are you applying to?
my options are currently oxford, edinburgh, durham, sheffield and either manchester or leeds. have you thought about your application much?
atla1215
Rep:
?
(Original post by romelia)
my options are currently oxford, edinburgh, durham, sheffield and either manchester or leeds. have you thought about your application much?
I was looking into Oxford & Durham too! Possibly also Exeter if they offer it. The Oxford course looks amazing, right? I’ve been beginning to look into classical Japanese literature for my application, as I prefer it over modern lit, but I’m wondering if you have any good book recommendations for an Oxford application and an idea of how many books I should read?

I’ve enrolled in a course about Japanese Subculture from the 1970s to present day to add a bit more modern cultural context to my statement (and I find subculture fascinating). That starts in October and runs for a month. I’m also starting a blog about Folk Tales and interesting historical tidbits that I research.

Obviously this is all going to take a while to complete but I’ll be working on it all year!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (210)
23.68%
Pop (220)
24.8%
Jazz (33)