The Student Room Group

Drama GCSE teacher potential saboteur

Hi all,
I'm in the first year of GCSE (year 10) and over all I'm quite happy with my subjects. Unfortunately, I'm unsure about drama. I love writing scripts, analysis of plays and even practical work. At first I was apprehensive towards the subject because the 'teacher' was well known for being a time waster. I decided to have a look at the syllabus (CIE) and I felt like it was tailored for me. So I felt that if it was something I really wanted I could work independently without having to rely on the teacher. She has no teaching background or qualifications

I started the course this year and all of my other teachers immediately started briefing us on our exams and content. For the first lesson, my drama teacher gave herself an hour long introduction all about her acting 'background'. I sort of knew this would happen so I wasn't too worried. The next day, I was ready at least do some sort of drama. But dear lord. When I walked in, she made us throw a ball around to 'build trust'. Then, she made us hold each others hands and walk around with our eyes closed for 10 minutes. I was thinking 'this is a long warm up'. After, she made us walk around the room in different directions and styles, leading with different body parts. She told us to get into pairs and perform 'physical theatre' basically contemporary dance with a story. This was not on the syllabus. There was nothing like it. WE LITERALLY HUGGED AND HELD HANDS WITH EACH OTHER FOR AN HOUR.

She wants to continue with this for the rest of the term. And as for favouritism, her daughter is in my class so...

I do want to give drama a chance because I want to be a script writer when I'm older. But I don't know what to do. I thought I could do it independently, not alone.
Should I drop it for something I don't really care about or should I gamble with my grade and try to do this alone?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by EvaKathleen
Hi all,
I'm in the first year of GCSE (year 10) and over all I'm quite happy with my subjects. Unfortunately, I'm unsure about drama. I love writing scripts, analysis of plays and even practical work. At first I was apprehensive towards the subject because the 'teacher' was well known for being a time waster. I decided to have a look at the syllabus (CIE) and I felt like it was tailored for me. So I felt that if it was something I really wanted I could work independently without having to rely on the teacher. Here's some background information on her:
- She persued unsuccessful acting career for 25 years
- Has no teaching background
or qualifications
- Is not particularly bright
-Is very stuck up and arrogant

So what regarding the unsuccessful acting career?

She would not be hired if she didn't have the qualifications.

Who are you to determine she's not particularly bright?

Last comment is irrelevant.
Reply 2
Original post by MediocreSince01
So what regarding the unsuccessful acting career?

She would not be hired if she didn't have the qualifications.

Who are you to determine she's not particularly bright?

Last comment is irrelevant.

Ok I agree it was harsh to say that she was not bright . After all, she got a job with no qualifications. When I say that, I mean she has not had any official teaching training. She was an advisor for a school play three years ago and our old drama left so my school asked her to come. My school isn't particularly caring towards the performing arts department so they'll just about let anyone on.

I haven't got any personal problems with this teacher, but I definitely feel more assured about my gcses if I was sure my teacher could manage it. Her first and only yield of grades haven't been the best with a D average.

As for the 'irrelevant' comment on favouritism, it's blatantly obvious when we're in class. She is constantly stroking her daughter's hair and saying 'WELL DONE' if she has anything to say.

I know it reads very cruel but you would understand if you knew her. She is marking my coursework. She is going to teach me for the next 2 years.
as long as you get on her good side, you can probably suck up to her enough for her to mark you high for any internal practicals. other than that, just stick out the lessons i guess (use it to mess around a bit lol) and bang out the theory yourself
Reply 4
Ditch the subject. Drama is a useless doss anyhow

Quick Reply

Latest