Enrolment & Tuition fees help for PGCE QTS course/training Watch

very_452001
Badges: 9
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi,

I suppose to enrol this friday and I met most of my enrolment admission conditions however there's a few conditions I haven't met yet:

- DBS: I completed ages ago in Jul/Aug and after all this time Student Governance from BCU now call me in for a Panel Meeting this Friday Morning and my enrolment is on the same day later in the afternoon which is no problem. Because I have entries on my DBS certificate BCU called me in for that meeting and they say it can take up to 2 weeks for a decision from that meeting date to let me continue or not.

The question is without a decision from the panel am I allowed to enrol later on the same day? If I enrol and 2 weeks later panel decision is no them am I liable for tuition fees incurred during the 2 weeks?

- Health questionnaire: What leeway date does BCU allow a student to meet this condition? I filled it out over a month ago and it still says processing status. Today I got a letter saying they want to see a report from my GP however I phoned up my GP and my GP says they only expertise is diagnosing and treating health problems not in consultation on how the health problems affect uni or placements in a report way. So report cant be written from GP. Will BCU accept a report from DSA or my my past medical reports from doctors or does the report has to be from my GP dated now stating how the health will affect uni/teaching placements?

- Numeracy Skills Test: What leeway date does BCU allow a student to pass this test condition without student being liable for tuition fees?

I got a letter from student finance england today and they approved the £9250 tuition fee to BCU, 1st stage payment is 16th October next month.

Question is if I don't meet all the conditions before the 16th October then am I liable for tuition fees between the 6th Sep enrolment to 16th Oct date?

My tutor said I can enrol at a later date however did not specify a date and had no response from to my email sent to my tutor. What date is this later enrolment date and does this later enrolment date mean I gotta meet the above conditions before this date?

Otherwise what are BCU liability dates?

Finally what eligibility criteria I must meet if I want to defer my start for next year Sep 20 with BCU? When DBS and Health and Numeracy skills test takes long to sort out then can I defer for next year while sorting these out?

Cheers,
Last edited by very_452001; 2 months ago
Birmingham City University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by very_452001)
Hi,

I suppose to enrol this friday and I met most of my enrolment admission conditions however there's a few conditions I haven't met yet:

- DBS: I completed ages ago in Jul/Aug and after all this time Student Governance from BCU now call me in for a Panel Meeting this Friday Morning and my enrolment is on the same day later in the afternoon which is no problem. Because I have entries on my DBS certificate BCU called me in for that meeting and they say it can take up to 2 weeks for a decision from that meeting date to let me continue or not.

The question is without a decision from the panel am I allowed to enrol later on the same day? If I enrol and 2 weeks later panel decision is no them am I liable for tuition fees incurred during the 2 weeks?

Cheers,
Hi very_452001,

The best thing to do is ask these questions to our admissions team and they'll be able to help confirm things. You can email them at [email protected] or call 0121 331 6371.

I hope you get it sorted!

Thanks,

Lydia
very_452001
(Original post by Birmingham City University)
Hi very_452001,

The best thing to do is ask these questions to our admissions team and they'll be able to help confirm things. You can email them at [email protected] or call 0121 331 6371.

I hope you get it sorted!

Thanks,

Lydia
Okay however can you please find out from them please as I emailed them and no reply and no answer on the phone too.
very_452001
Ok can you please find out generally when are the liability dates for BCU please?

£9250 tuition fee per year is expensive.

9250 divided by 40 weeks (Sep-July) is around £230 per week which is equivalent to mcdonalds weekly wages for example.

For example after 2 weeks later if they tell me to leave then am I liable for the approx £500 fee?
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Ok can you please find out generally when are the liability dates for BCU please?

9250 divided by 40 weeks (Sep-July) is around £230 per week which is equivalent to mcdonalds weekly wages for example.

For example after 2 weeks later if they tell me to leave then am I liable for the approx £500 fee?
Hi very_452001,

I've contacted our admissions team to try and get some answers for you.

Thanks,

Lydia
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Hi very_452001,

Our admissions team said the answers to your questions depend on whether it's the Primary or Secondary PGCE you've applied for - could you confirm which one? Also if you private message us with your full name we'll be able to check details on your application.

Thanks,

Lydia
very_452001
Hi very_452001,

Our admissions team said the answers to your questions depend on whether it's the Primary or Secondary PGCE you've applied for - could you confirm which one? Also if you private message us with your full name we'll be able to check details on your application.

Thanks,

Lydia

Hi cheers for the quick reply. Yes its PGCE Secondary. Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi cheers for the quick reply. Yes its PGCE Secondary. Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Hi very_452001,

In terms of enrolment, you would still be permitted to enrol providing all other academic conditions have been met. The DBS and Occupational Health would prevent you from attending placement however.

The liability of fee’s are outlined in the T’s + C’s of the student contract which can be found here: https://www.bcu.ac.uk/about-us/corpo...udent-contract. Attendance on programme without meeting the entry requirements may result in a fee being charged however this would need to be liaised with Finance which you can contact on 0121 331 7753.

With the health questionnaire, as above the Occupational Health form would not prevent enrolment however you would not be permitted to attend any placements. Currently there is no cut off point for this to be completed. Due to the sensitive nature of the forms we would advise you too liaise with our affiliated doctor who assess these on behalf of the university. The practise is Handsworth Wood Medical Centre 0121 523 1807.

Numeracy Skills test: The cut-off point to meet this condition for PGCE Secondary is the 27th September and you would again need to contact Finance to confirm liability of fees for this period should you have been attending.

In terms of tuition fees, again you'd have to speak to our finance team, same number as above.

To answer your question about defering, unfortunately PGCE applicants are not able to defer therefore if you wanted to start later you would need to re-apply for then.

I hope this answers all your questions!

Thanks,

Lydia
very_452001
Hi very_452001,

In terms of enrolment, you would still be permitted to enrol providing all other academic conditions have been met. The DBS and Occupational Health would prevent you from attending placement however.

The liability of fee’s are outlined in the T’s + C’s of the student contract which can be found here: https://www.bcu.ac.uk/about-us/corpo...udent-contract. Attendance on programme without meeting the entry requirements may result in a fee being charged however this would need to be liaised with Finance which you can contact on 0121 331 7753.

With the health questionnaire, as above the Occupational Health form would not prevent enrolment however you would not be permitted to attend any placements. Currently there is no cut off point for this to be completed. Due to the sensitive nature of the forms we would advise you too liaise with our affiliated doctor who assess these on behalf of the university. The practise is Handsworth Wood Medical Centre 0121 523 1807.

Numeracy Skills test: The cut-off point to meet this condition for PGCE Secondary is the 27th September and you would again need to contact Finance to confirm liability of fees for this period should you have been attending.

In terms of tuition fees, again you'd have to speak to our finance team, same number as above.

To answer your question about defering, unfortunately PGCE applicants are not able to defer therefore if you wanted to start later you would need to re-apply for then.

I hope this answers all your questions!

Thanks,

Lydia
Thanks for your quick reply. Generally speaking in regards to the health questionnaire, will a health report from DSA approved assessor be acceptable?

Cheers,
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thanks for your quick reply. Generally speaking in regards to the health questionnaire, will a health report from DSA approved assessor be acceptable?

Cheers,
You might be best checking with the number provided above, they should be able to advise.

Thanks,

Lydia
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 24 Nov '19

what's your favourite season?

Summer (65)
32.02%
Spring (37)
18.23%
Autumn/Fall (52)
25.62%