The Student Room Group

What should I do?

null
(edited 3 years ago)
Why not apply this year? There is literally no downside but there is all the upside. If you don't get any offers or interviews then you just get rejected and then you take a gap year and re-apply next year with your actual A-Levels but there is the possibility of you getting an offer this year so why not try? Trying this year and failing does not stop you from trying again next year.
Original post by NinjaBurger1337
Why not apply this year? There is literally no downside but there is all the upside. If you don't get any offers or interviews then you just get rejected and then you take a gap year and re-apply next year with your actual A-Levels but there is the possibility of you getting an offer this year so why not try? Trying this year and failing does not stop you from trying again next year.

youre right and i think ill do that, but i could apply for foreign unis instead of uk ones this year thus avoiding a gap year, as i dont really want to have to take one. I'd just be happy with getting interviews for denitstry but i have a feeling theyll just automatically decline my application due to my grades
Original post by benbp
youre right and i think ill do that, but i could apply for foreign unis instead of uk ones this year thus avoiding a gap year, as i dont really want to have to take one. I'd just be happy with getting interviews for denitstry but i have a feeling theyll just automatically decline my application due to my grades

Nothing bad will happen if you try
Have you read all admissions criteria carefully ? If you are eligible for programmes like Access to Leeds (bmat) then AAB shouldn’t be a problem. If you meet contextual criteria then a few more unis are within your grasp, and as stated above it’s a good practice exercise if nothing else !
Original post by DashingDiva
Have you read all admissions criteria carefully ? If you are eligible for programmes like Access to Leeds (bmat) then AAB shouldn’t be a problem. If you meet contextual criteria then a few more unis are within your grasp, and as stated

I don't meet any of the contextual criteria so I'm not really sure what to do. It's a bit daunting to think that I'll be up against people with 4 A* predictions applying for dentistry and I know if I worked at the universities I'd only want to interview individuals with higher predicted grades
In some cases you are sifted in or out dependant on meeting the minimum criteria and it’s not looked at again (read newcastle admission document) - you need to get that B up to an A prediction and not be so defeatist. It’s a long haul process (and career choice). If you’re unable to get the B up then a gap year and application with grades in hand is the best way forward for dentistry.

Quick Reply

Latest