The best/easiest route for Edexcel A-Level Further Maths? A bit desperate here.

Watch
AbdulAB
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I'm going to self-studying FM this year and was under the impression that there were only mandatory modules, like A-Level Maths but after seeing all the possible routes I can take I realised that I need outside help.

I'm from the UK, have already studied A-Level Maths and would definitely prefer any Pure Maths modules. I'm indifferent when it comes to Stats and Mechanics - either is just as bad as the other haha.

Also, since I haven't even started learning subject content yet, I would appreciate if anyone could explain how the exams work. How many exams are sat? What content is included in each exam? I checked the website and the only answers I could find were quite vague.

Reposting since I couldn't find an answer.
Last edited by AbdulAB; 7 months ago
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
In Edexcel further maths, there is Core Pure maths, which is mandatory for everyone sitting the subject to study and then there are the option papers.
In total you sit four papers, each worth 75 marks, each 90 minutes long with no weighting given to any. Two of those papers are Core Pure papers and two of the others are your Option papers.
The Core Pure papers are not split according to topic. Any topic, from Core Pure Book 1 or Book 2, can come up in any of the two Core Pure papers.

There are four topics you can take for your options - Further Statistics, Further Mechanics, Decision Maths and Further Pure maths. Each route is divided into two - so for further stats there's FS1 and FS2, for further mechanics it's FM1 and FM2, and so on. There are two modules for each. Each module covers different content, but they may expect that you have Core Pure knowledge.

You select two options. These can either be two modules from one topic, e.g. FM1 and FM2, or the first module from two different topics, e.g. FS1 and FM1. However you cannot take the first module from one and the second from another - e.g., you may not choose FP1 and D2.

Seeing as you prefer pure maths, you can take FP1 and FP2 (Further Pure 1 and 2)alongside Core Pure.

Your FP1 paper would only cover material included in FP1, and your FP2 paper would only cover material included in FP2. So you will not get a question from FP1 in an FP2 paper.
AbdulAB
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
In Edexcel further maths, there is Core Pure maths, which is mandatory for everyone sitting the subject to study and then there are the option papers.
In total you sit four papers, each worth 75 marks, each 90 minutes long with no weighting given to any. Two of those papers are Core Pure papers and two of the others are your Option papers.
The Core Pure papers are not split according to topic. Any topic, from Core Pure Book 1 or Book 2, can come up in any of the two Core Pure papers.

There are four topics you can take for your options - Further Statistics, Further Mechanics, Decision Maths and Further Pure maths. Each route is divided into two - so for further stats there's FS1 and FS2, for further mechanics it's FM1 and FM2, and so on. There are two modules for each. Each module covers different content, but they may expect that you have Core Pure knowledge.

You select two options. These can either be two modules from one topic, e.g. FM1 and FM2, or the first module from two different topics, e.g. FS1 and FM1. However you cannot take the first module from one and the second from another - e.g., you may not choose FP1 and D2.

Seeing as you prefer pure maths, you can take FP1 and FP2 (Further Pure 1 and 2)alongside Core Pure.

Your FP1 paper would only cover material included in FP1, and your FP2 paper would only cover material included in FP2. So you will not get a question from FP1 in an FP2 paper.
Thank you so, so much. I really appreciate the help. I'd also like to ask which modules typically have the lowest and highest grade boundaries? The grade boundaries on the edexcel site show each paper as 1A, 2A etc. I'm not sure which module each represents.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by AbdulAB)
Thank you so, so much. I really appreciate the help. I'd also like to ask which modules typically have the lowest and highest grade boundaries? The grade boundaries on the edexcel site show each paper as 1A, 2A etc. I'm not sure which module each represents.
You can check on the Sample Assessment Materials on this link and checking each paper. Don't worry about choosing based on grade boundaries, they're set to reflect the difficulty of the paper so you're not going to be able to get an advantage that way. I took FS1 and FM1 which had quite a high boundary, but I think it's higher for the Decision modules.
AbdulAB
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
You can check on the Sample Assessment Materials on this link and checking each paper. Don't worry about choosing based on grade boundaries, they're set to reflect the difficulty of the paper so you're not going to be able to get an advantage that way. I took FS1 and FM1 which had quite a high boundary, but I think it's higher for the Decision modules.
Ahh, I see. Thanks again @Sinnoh, you're a great help.
rose236
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi, I self-taught myself Edexcel AS Further Maths this year and got an A. Although I only did S1 and FP1, I found S1 to be quite easy (easier than A-Level Maths Statistics so I would definitely recommend that if you find stats in maths relatively alright) and FP1 was fine, however, I also learnt some of FP2 by mistake and found it very hard (I literally couldn't teach myself any of it and the answer sheets on physics and maths tutor weren't even out yet). I also did some decision maths and although it is considered to be fairly easy, I personally didn't really like it but if you like computing and algorithms you will definitely prefer decision. Apparently mechanics is really hard. If you prefer pure maths definitely do FP1 and FP2 but I would recommend looking over the statistics material too (I personally recommend FP1 and S1 for self-teaching).
AbdulAB
Rep:
?
(Original post by rose236)
Hi, I self-taught myself Edexcel AS Further Maths this year and got an A. Although I only did S1 and FP1, I found S1 to be quite easy (easier than A-Level Maths Statistics so I would definitely recommend that if you find stats in maths relatively alright) and FP1 was fine, however, I also learnt some of FP2 by mistake and found it very hard (I literally couldn't teach myself any of it and the answer sheets on physics and maths tutor weren't even out yet). I also did some decision maths and although it is considered to be fairly easy, I personally didn't really like it but if you like computing and algorithms you will definitely prefer decision. Apparently mechanics is really hard. If you prefer pure maths definitely do FP1 and FP2 but I would recommend looking over the statistics material too (I personally recommend FP1 and S1 for self-teaching).
Yeah, I'm leaning toward FP1 and S1 after looking at assessment material. Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (281)
15.28%
Uncertainty around my education (288)
15.66%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (183)
9.95%
Isolating with family (130)
7.07%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (84)
4.57%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (153)
8.32%
Loneliness (182)
9.9%
Financial worries (75)
4.08%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (170)
9.24%
Exposure to negative news/social media (132)
7.18%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (161)
8.75%

Watched Threads