Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Ddxgfs
Last edited by username4939284; 6 months ago
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You want to do medicine or nanotechnology or PPE? Don't want to add English literature and fine art into that mix as well or...?
username4939284
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I want to do medicine but if I can’t then it’s a choice between those two subjects.
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Seems like you’re attracted to these universities only due to their reputation and status. What funding options do you have? Dent repayments for these universities will last your entire life.
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
ivory league? 🐘
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
First of all, it's the Ivy League, not the Ivory League. Second of all, Stanford isn't an Ivy. Third of all nanotechnology isn't a degree, it's an interdisciplinary area of academic research, with researchers from a wide range of fields (engineering, materials science, physics, mathematics, chemistry) involved.

Fourth, and most importantly, as noted by those above it doesn't seem you have any actual commitment to those subject areas other than the perceived prestige attached to them. Would you do PPE if it wasn't at Oxford? Would you do "nanotechnology" at an ex-poly? If you want to help people in the healthcare sector, would you consider nursing, or any allied health profession, or only medicine?

You may want to examine your motives for wanting to go into those areas more carefully, and then think about what it is you actually enjoy doing, and what you are good at, and use that as a basis to plan for the future. If you pursue something you have a genuine interest in, you're more likely to do better in it and more likely to distinguish yourself in that area - which is what "top" universities are looking for anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (75)
15.18%
Uncertainty around my education (82)
16.6%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (45)
9.11%
Isolating with family (32)
6.48%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (21)
4.25%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (40)
8.1%
Loneliness (48)
9.72%
Financial worries (18)
3.64%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (49)
9.92%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.88%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (50)
10.12%

Watched Threads