Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
For GCSE I got 2 6s, 4 7s, 2 8s, 1 9,
Maths- 8
Bio - 8
Chem- 9

I’m now taking maths bio and chem for a level. I would like to do medicine but now wondering if my dream is unrealistic given my less than stellar results.

I did two weeks in a stroke ward at a hospital so have some work experience.

The dream is Cambridge but seems very unlikely at the moment.

Please tell me if I can still do medicine?
Last edited by Suhanaa; 1 month ago
GoldenShade
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, ofc u can still do medicine. Just make sure your personal statement, work experience and entrance exams are as strong as possible because the competition is fierce -- many candidates will have straight 8s and 9s. Don't be disheartened however, you should be very proud of them results
dontevenknow2
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can you still do medicine even if you got 7's and couple 6's
The Mogg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
11 A*'s, any less than that and Oxbridge won't accept!!
GoldenShade
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...-for-medicine/
GoldenShade
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dontevenknow2)
Can you still do medicine even if you got 7's and couple 6's
yep, like i said above, the rest of ur application needs to be as strong as possible
dontevenknow2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
okay thank you very much, I guess with mainly 7's you couldn't apply to imperial or kings or oxbridge?
wildern1217
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dontevenknow2)
okay thank you very much, I guess with mainly 7's you couldn't apply to imperial or kings or oxbridge?
Hi,

As far as I’m aware imperial don’t look at your GCSE’s when selecting for interview (but you might want to double check this). Also Cambridge look at the application as a whole so if other aspects are strong like BMAT you could still be interviewed although you would have to do very well. Oxford select for interview using GCSE (need about 10 A* so I wouldn’t there). Same for Kings.

Be proud of your results as they’re still very good and keep working hard as there will be other med schools you can apply to. At the end of the day all med schools should be seen as equal.
dontevenknow2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by wildern1217)
Hi,

As far as I’m aware imperial don’t look at your GCSE’s when selecting for interview (but you might want to double check this). Also Cambridge look at the application as a whole so if other aspects are strong like BMAT you could still be interviewed although you would have to do very well. Oxford select for interview using GCSE (need about 10 A* so I wouldn’t there). Same for Kings.

Be proud of your results as they’re still very good and keep working hard as there will be other med schools you can apply to. At the end of the day all med schools should be seen as equal.
Thank you very much, you have made me feel much better !
Faruq972
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Suhanaa)
Maths- 8
Bio - 8
Chem- 9

I’m now taking maths bio and chem for a level. I would like to do medicine but now wondering if my dream is unrealistic given my less than stellar results.

You’ll be completely fine with them grades. Just get your A levels up to scratch and apply strategically, you’d be fine to apply any uni (depending on your English Language grade).

Maybe excluding very GCSE heavy unis.

Good luck
Suhanaa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thank you so much for the replies, you’ve definitely helped calm me down! My English language was 7 but teacher is looking at a remark
Alysia.joy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I got 3 a* 5 A’s and a b so similar to you and I am starting medicine next week at Lincoln. It it definitely possible if you research the med schools that don’t tend to be as gcse focused
WillJVII
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Suhanaa)
Maths- 8
Bio - 8
Chem- 9

They're pretty good GCSE results. You did well in the relevant ones and honestly if you finish your A levels and do well in those your GCSEs really won't matter as much as you think they well, as long as you got all A*-Cs or equivalent (which you did). Obviously you'd need to do very well in your a-levels to get into Oxbridge or any of the other top unis but if I were you I'd just be proud of those results, go through sixth form and work really hard on the rest of your application in the future. Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (22)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (5)
15.15%
Yes but I might change my mind (6)
18.18%

Watched Threads