The Student Room Group

New 17 year old driving insurance question

Hiwhich car insurance company doesn't increase your premium when you pass your driving test and go from a provisional licence to a full licence please?my son is just buying a car and we will insure his car and add our names to the insurance and black box. I know Marmalade and possibly Direct Line won't increase. thanks in advance for your help.
What’s the question?
Reply 2
Original post by agoodbear
Hiwhich car insurance company doesn't increase your premium when you pass your driving test and go from a provisional licence to a full licence please?my son is just buying a car and we will insure his car and add our names to the insurance and black box. I know Marmalade and possibly Direct Line won't increase. thanks in advance for your help.

Original post by OR321
What’s the question?

the question was at the start! which car insurance company doesn't increase your premium when you pass your driving test and go from a provisional licence to a full licence please?
Reply 3
Original post by OR321
What’s the question?

which car insurance company doesn't increase your premium when you pass your driving test and go from a provisional licence to a full licence please?
If you're new to driving and quite young, you're insurance is generally going to be quite expensive. But it depends where you live as well. I'm sorry but I'm slightly confused by what you are asking exactly, can you go into more detail?
Reply 5
Original post by Nadim Chowdhury
If you're new to driving and quite young, you're insurance is generally going to be quite expensive. But it depends where you live as well. I'm sorry but I'm slightly confused by what you are asking exactly, can you go into more detail?

if my insurance quote is £1000 on a provisional with parents names added so I can practice in my car. what will happen to my insurance when I pass my test and go to a full licence? I know some insurances don't increase the price but others do
Original post by agoodbear
if my insurance quote is £1000 on a provisional with parents names added so I can practice in my car. what will happen to my insurance when I pass my test and go to a full licence? I know some insurances don't increase the price but others do

I'm not too sure tbh, I've only used my instructor car to pass. It'd be best to call your insurance company and ask. Also, to let you know, you must have l plates and be supervised by someone over 21 with 3 years license. I'm not too sure but double check the rules and stay safe!
I'm not too sure tbh, I've only used my instructor car to pass. It'd be best to call your insurance company and ask. Also, to let you know, you must have l plates and be supervised by someone over 21 with 3 years license. I'm not too sure but double check the rules and stay safe!

*licence
Normal trend will be.
Provisional insurance will be different to full licence insurance.
So, you might be better of using price comparison websites and finding the cheapest insurance then, when your son has passed his test. Costs should not change if you pay by monthly payments however the premium quotes will certainly be a lot different from provisional insurance.
Average insurance for a 17 year old boy should be around 1100-1400 full comp.
(edited 4 years ago)

You should get a refund for the amount of time you did not use! At least I did!
Depends on the car you are insuring. About 7 years ago it was in excess of £2000 for a VW polo for my eldest brother, with named drivers (so my Dad says). I'm currently insured with Admiral via Compare the Market for a 1.2 Polo with parents on policy for around £650 (it would have been less with a black box). Once your son is at Uni Ensleigh might offer a cheaper policy but it would depend on if he is away from home or not. Just check out all the options before buying. Also you'll get better quotes if the start date is in 10 to 15 days time not tomorrow.
Most companies will increase a premium once the driver has passed as they'll be driving unaccompanied

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending