ss_17
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello, I did my ukcat/ucat and got a score of 2480 (average:620) and band 2 in SJT and feel very disappointed and loss in terms of where to apply. My A level predictions are AAA, i've already done plenty of work experience, community service and extra curricular. I intended to apply to bristol but as of 2020, they raised their emphasis on the ukcat/ucat 'GCSE 15%, A-Level 15%, Personal Statement 35%, UCAT 35%' so thats out of the question. Ive seen plymouth and I do make their 2020 cut off. Dundee doesn't have a set cutoff, does anyone know what it was last year ? (2019 entry)
Could anyone please help with suggestions on where to apply thats does not put a strong emphasis on ukcat/ucat . Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

(EDITED updated )

Ive narrowed down choices now but am confused between Bristol and Sheffield on where to apply. I'd love to apply to Bristol but I'm worried about my UCAT score of 2480 and it has a 35% weighting. But I've heard that Sheffield has quite a high cut off as well.
Could anyone provide advice ? And if there was anyone who got an interview from Bristol with a lower Ucat score ?? or from experience does Sheffield really count the UCAT for interview ?
Last edited by ss_17; 4 weeks ago
tannlege
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Leeds don't look at UCAT, they do BMAT. Might be an option ?
Asd901
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ss_17)
Hello, I did my ukcat/ucat and got a score of 2480 (average:620) and band 2 in SJT and feel very disappointed and loss in terms of where to apply. My A level predictions are AAA, i've already done plenty of work experience, community service and extra curricular. I intended to apply to bristol but as of 2020, they raised their emphasis on the ukcat/ucat 'GCSE 15%, A-Level 15%, Personal Statement 35%, UCAT 35%' so thats out of the question. Ive seen plymouth and I do make their 2020 cut off.Could anyone please help with suggestions on where to apply thats does not put a strong emphasis on uklcat/ucat . Thank you
First of all i would say dont worry! look at universities with low UCAT cut off and apply there, you could also do the BMAT , which is slightly more difficult. universities only use UCAT as a cutoff and also rely heavily on GCSE.
ss_17
Rep:
?
(Original post by Asd901)
First of all i would say dont worry! look at universities with low UCAT cut off and apply there, you could also do the BMAT , which is slightly more difficult. universities only use UCAT as a cutoff and also rely heavily on GCSE.
I don't think I can do the BMAT so Leeds is not an option. Does anyone know if Dundee or Cardiff has a lower ukcat/ucat cutoff ?
Asd901
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ss_17)
I don't think I can do the BMAT so Leeds is not an option. Does anyone know if Dundee or Cardiff has a lower ukcat/ucat cutoff ?
I would wait a little while and see what the cohort average is for your year group, if it is low the cutoff will be lower , manchester had a decently low cutoff last year when the cohort score was weaker
RedHelenB
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hiw many A * did you get at GCSE? If more than 5 maybe Cardiff and Birmingham might be worth a look.
ss_17
Rep:
?
(Original post by RedHelenB)
Hiw many A * did you get at GCSE? If more than 5 maybe Cardiff and Birmingham might be worth a look.
Ah my IGCSE were 3A* and 7As. I've checked out both Birmingham I think they require A* in bio which I don't have.
I've also seen Cardiff and yea applicants usually have 5A* to meet the minimum threshold so that's a no.

So I'm really stumped.
ITS2019
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I applied to dentistry at Dundee last year with 600 Ucat score and got an interview. They give out tons of interviews but are alot harsher post-interview.
ss_17
Rep:
?
Thank you, this is reassuring just feeling really worried now 😨
S_x_x
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have a look at glasgow, their cutoff in the 620 range
ss_17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
UPDATED ADVICE NEEDED

Ive narrowed down choices now but am confused between Bristol and Sheffield on where to apply. I'd love to apply to Bristol but I'm worried about my UCAT score of 2480 and it has a 35% weighting. But I've heard that Sheffield has quite a high cut off as well.
Could anyone provide advice ? And if there was anyone who got an interview from Bristol with a lower Ucat score ?? or from experience does Sheffield really count the UCAT for interview ?
AnnaB28
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I was also concerned about my UCAT score and since sheffield is one of my top choices I gave them a call today to ask about cut off scores. I was told by the dental admissions people that they dont actually have a cut off for dentistry and they only really look at UCAT scores if they have to really narrow things down
ss_17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AnnaB28)
I was also concerned about my UCAT score and since sheffield is one of my top choices I gave them a call today to ask about cut off scores. I was told by the dental admissions people that they dont actually have a cut off for dentistry and they only really look at UCAT scores if they have to really narrow things down
Oh damn really, someone told me in another thread that Sheffield wants high ukcat scores but since you called them that's nice
Amirah901
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I got a a ucat score of 1970 and my sciences gcses are good but my maths was C, I am re sitting this. Is there any point applying for dentistry??
predicted AAA
ITS2019
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Amirah901)
I got a a ucat score of 1970 and my sciences gcses are good but my maths was C, I am re sitting this. Is there any point applying for dentistry??
predicted AAA
1970 !?
Amirah901
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ITS2019)
1970 !?
Yeah I know it’s super low
Amirah901
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ITS2019)
1970 !?
Average 500
AnnaB28
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
predicted AAA
you could always apply to take the BMAT aswell for a shot at leeds?
Amirah901
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AnnaB28)
you could always apply to take the BMAT aswell for a shot at leeds?
Isn’t it too late for the bmat for 2020 entry
AnnaB28
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Isn’t it too late for the bmat for 2020 entry
people at my college are only just registering so I dont think so.. Not 100% sure though because I've already sat it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (27)
25.71%
No (78)
74.29%

Watched Threads