Florin722
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hey guys, I just started my first year of college and I'm studying computer science, psychology and business studies. I want to go on to study Computer science at university but all universities require a maths a level, I was required to get a 6 in maths GCSE to study maths a level but only achieved a 5. Does anyone have any advice on how to get into a good university without studying maths a level?
morningstar461
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It depends which universities you class as "good". Most if not all of the "top" unis want maths a level and a lot of the ones that don't want a B or equivalent in GCSE. There are some unis that don't require maths but they're not the ones generally classed as being "good" unis. Computer science can involve a lot of maths depending on the specific course so if you didn't do well enough at GCSE to take it at a level then you might struggle.
Florin722
Rep:
?
What if I study a computer science btec? Will that get me in a good uni? I still have time to swap colleges
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Florin722)
Hey guys, I just started my first year of college and I'm studying computer science, psychology and business studies. I want to go on to study Computer science at university but all universities require a maths a level, I was required to get a 6 in maths GCSE to study maths a level but only achieved a 5. Does anyone have any advice on how to get into a good university without studying maths a level?
(Original post by Florin722)
What if I study a computer science btec? Will that get me in a good uni? I still have time to swap colleges
You could take a foundation year in computer science after A level. You could email a couple of unis to ask about BTEC route.
Florin722
Rep:
?
What types of universities will a foundation year get me in?
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
There are some CS courses that don't require A-level Maths (Cardiff and KCL, I believe, for example). There are also as noted courses which require A-level Maths available with a foundation year (e.g. Southampton).

However, most computer science degrees will necessarily involve some (often a lot) of mathematical content. If you struggle with maths and/or don't enjoy, you may want to consider other courses in related areas (such as IT) which are less focused on the theoretical basis of computing (which is inherently mathematical).
Florin722
Rep:
?
I do enjoy maths a lot but I was obligated to sit foundation because my teacher didn't swap me to higher, I got the highest grade possible on foundation, 5,however I'm planning on resitting maths on higher this November to get a 6 or above
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You should resit GCSE maths. It will not require particularly intensive study in order for you to get at least a 6. Once you have a 6, your choice of universities will be bigger.
One of my friends was in a similar situation, sharing two of your subjects and getting a 5 initially. After resitting maths, he got offer from all the universities he applied for - including Nottingham and Newcastle.
Florin722
Rep:
?
Thank you, that's what I'm planning to do
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I see the experts have beaten me it!Resitting GCSE is definitely way to go in your position.
noted
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Tbh do the btec, it gets you exactly where you need to be but just make sure you definitely want to go down that path because it’s obviously not as flexible as a levels
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (221)
60.88%
No (76)
20.94%
Not sure (66)
18.18%

Watched Threads