FahadMuh247
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys,

So I have just started year11 and I need to start revision for my English Literature GCSE. The books that I am studying are Animal Farm, Romeo and Juliet and Frankenstein. The only thing stopping me from revising is that I do not know how to make flashcards on the books. Like do I make a flashcard for each character? Do I make a flashcard about a whole chapter/act? If I could have guidance on how to make flashcard for English Literature then that would be appreciated. (I'm predicted Grade 9 so the flashcards have to be detailed)

Thanks,
Travv
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did animal farm, Romeo and Juliet and Jekyll and Hyde and my revision consisted mainly of flash cards on quizlet (a mobile app that is a lifesaver as it’s far quicker than writing out flash cards), using Seneca - which for English is amazing as it adds small contextual details or details about the text that you’ll remember (for example I still remember that in R&J, Juliet’s marriage to Paris is only ever spoken about at night), and finally I used practice questions where quite often I’d just make up a question, answer it and get my teacher to mark it.

Using those 3 things got me a grade 9 in English lit this year, I’d recommend using flash cards primarily for quotes and some context, Seneca and textbooks if you have them for the bulk of remembering storyline and context, and practise questions for consolidation.
FahadMuh247
Rep:
?
(Original post by Travv)
I did animal farm, Romeo and Juliet and Jekyll and Hyde and my revision consisted mainly of flash cards on quizlet (a mobile app that is a lifesaver as it’s far quicker than writing out flash cards), using Seneca - which for English is amazing as it adds small contextual details or details about the text that you’ll remember (for example I still remember that in R&J, Juliet’s marriage to Paris is only ever spoken about at night), and finally I used practice questions where quite often I’d just make up a question, answer it and get my teacher to mark it.

Using those 3 things got me a grade 9 in English lit this year, I’d recommend using flash cards primarily for quotes and some context, Seneca and textbooks if you have them for the bulk of remembering storyline and context, and practise questions for consolidation.
Wow I’m so proud of you well done for getting that Grade9. So, regarding flashcards should i make them for each character + Themes + The different chapters/acts??
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i wouldn't recommend making your flashcards too detailed as that means you'll end up having to learn huge chunks of information- learn some key, perceptive points and do lots of exam practice to nail your analysis.
flashcards you can make for whatever you want, but i think they'd be particularly good for characters and themes eg. quote on one side, character on the other or quote on one side, theme on the other... do whatever you want though. you could do summaries of acts/chapters on flashcards too, but if you'd like more detail it might be better doing a mindmap for those?
FahadMuh247
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
i wouldn't recommend making your flashcards too detailed as that means you'll end up having to learn huge chunks of information- learn some key, perceptive points and do lots of exam practice to nail your analysis.
flashcards you can make for whatever you want, but i think they'd be particularly good for characters and themes eg. quote on one side, character on the other or quote on one side, theme on the other... do whatever you want though. you could do summaries of acts/chapters on flashcards too, but if you'd like more detail it might be better doing a mindmap for those?
Alright i will definitely be starting some exam practice questions now. Also mindmap a great idea too, thanks!
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by FahadMuh247)
Alright i will definitely be starting some exam practice questions now. Also mindmap a great idea too, thanks!
no problem, good luck with gcses!!
Emilyxoxo:)
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I recently just finished A Level English-Literature.
If you’re wanting a high grade at GCSE and if you plan on taking alevel I have some advice for you.

Sounds basic, but start with some “character profile” sheets. eg- Character, key themes, key quotes, characteristics, context etc.
These really helped me, they can be as detailed as you like.

I also did Mind Maps for GCSE and Alevel(these are great for me, but maybe not for everyone!!) I would put themes, characters, context etc on here in detail

For flash cards, I used to take what I put on the mindmaps, but condense it and test myself to expand on the topic. (You would need to know the books/plays really well) but I also used to put quotes on these. I started with “fill in the gap” and then eventually advance.

I managed to get an 8 at GCSE and an A at ALevel.

Good Luck with all your studies!☺️
EJ 12
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This is my quote sheet that I used throughout my GCSE Eng Lit for Macbeth and Jekyll & Hyde. I used it to revise and took it to every English class so that I got used to the sheet and quotes and learned them over time. Hope this helps someone and can be used an example for revision quotes sheets.
FahadMuh247
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by EJ 12)
This is my quote sheet that I used throughout my GCSE Eng Lit for Macbeth and Jekyll & Hyde. I used it to revise and took it to every English class so that I got used to the sheet and quotes and learned them over time. Hope this helps someone and can be used an example for revision quotes sheets.
Ahhh unfortunately, i do Animal Farm, Romeo&Juliet and Frankenstein. If you have the quote sheet for them please send them. Regardless, thankyou for helping.
Ztormie
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Travv)

OMG! I'm going to try this for my Jekyll and Hyde English test coming up, thank you and congratulations on your result!
Ztormie
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by EJ 12)
Thank you C:
Travv
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ztormie)
OMG! I'm going to try this for my Jekyll and Hyde English test coming up, thank you and congratulations on your result!
Sorry for the late-ish reply, sixth form has took over my life lol. If one of your English teachers is an examiner (mine was for language) do as many practise essays as you need and get them to mark them, gives you a good idea of what you might actually get. Teachers who aren’t examiners won’t be as accurate - particularly in a subject like English without a set in stone way of getting marks like maths and science
Ztormie
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Travv)
Sorry for the late-ish reply, sixth form has took over my life lol. If one of your English teachers is an examiner (mine was for language) do as many practise essays as you need and get them to mark them, gives you a good idea of what you might actually get. Teachers who aren’t examiners won’t be as accurate - particularly in a subject like English without a set in stone way of getting marks like maths and science
Thank you so much!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (13)
6.63%
They might tell the bully (20)
10.2%
I don't think they'd understand (33)
16.84%
It might lead to more bullying (71)
36.22%
There's nothing they could do (59)
30.1%

Watched Threads