How can I be an international student Watch

joshuawadsley
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am a British citizen and grew up in UK . Had to move to USA for several years for my dads work. Have been back living in UK over a year and got a place at Falmouth this year having completed a years access to education course .
I have now been told not only will I be classed as an international student , I also will not receive any UK government funding and even when My status changes while on the course I will stay international and have to find an extra £16,000.00 in fees ...... this is obviously impossible for me to do . I have reached out to several people at the Uni but reply is same ....you have to wait another two years to be considered UK student ......any help or advice would be so welcome . Thank you.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by joshuawadsley)
I am a British citizen and grew up in UK . Had to move to USA for several years for my dads work. Have been back living in UK over a year and got a place at Falmouth this year having completed a years access to education course .
I have now been told not only will I be classed as an international student , I also will not receive any UK government funding and even when My status changes while on the course I will stay international and have to find an extra £16,000.00 in fees ...... this is obviously impossible for me to do . I have reached out to several people at the Uni but reply is same ....you have to wait another two years to be considered UK student ......any help or advice would be so welcome . Thank you.
That is perfectly correct. If your father paid tax as a UK resident whilst he was working in the States you may have an argument that the whole family remained resident in the UK.
Kinyonga
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As above said.
How many years were you abroad? Do you have proof that it was just a temporary move?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Unless you moved away because your father was in the Armed Forces or Foreign Office, ie posted abroad by the government, then fee eligibility is by residence, not nationality alone.
joshuawadsley
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Unless you moved away because your father was in the Armed Forces or Foreign Office, ie posted abroad by the government, then fee eligibility is by residence, not nationality alone.
We were there for 7years . Thanks for replies , how on earth do I get funding as the USA won't give me funding as I no longer am a resident and the uk government won't give me funding ?
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
We were there for 7years . Thanks for replies , how on earth do I get funding as the USA won't give me funding as I no longer am a resident and the uk government won't give me funding ?
Unfortunately, you will have to wait 2 more years before you will be eligible for funding. There really isn't any way round that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?