owais_148
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
hi, I have a question regarding the first ionisation energy and 2nd energy ionisation definition, so basically in a small mini test i wrote the 1st ionisation energy definition as ' the first ionisation energy is the enthalpy change when mole of gaseous 1+ ions is formed from gaseous atoms. ( got the mark for this definition). now here is where the problem comes in, for the second ionisation energy I wrote ' the second ionisation energy is the enthalpy change when one mole of gaseous 2+ ions is formed from one mole of gaseous 1+ ions. I did not get the mark for this question?? and the same exact word to word definition is stated on the cgp revision guide?? then I ask my teacher and she says that the revision guide is wrong despite the 1st ionisation energy definition being right and the second being wrong? does anyone know what's going on?
sambridge
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by owais_148)
hi, I have a question regarding the first ionisation energy and 2nd energy ionisation definition, so basically in a small mini test i wrote the 1st ionisation energy definition as ' the first ionisation energy is the enthalpy change when mole of gaseous 1+ ions is formed from gaseous atoms. ( got the mark for this definition). now here is where the problem comes in, for the second ionisation energy I wrote ' the second ionisation energy is the enthalpy change when one mole of gaseous 2+ ions is formed from one mole of gaseous 1+ ions. I did not get the mark for this question?? and the same exact word to word definition is stated on the cgp revision guide?? then I ask my teacher and she says that the revision guide is wrong despite the 1st ionisation energy definition being right and the second being wrong? does anyone know what's going on?
The definition for the 2nd ionisation energy is ''the enthalpy change /energy required when 1mol of electrons are removed from 1 mol of gaseous 1+ ions to form 2+ ions''. Maybe you just missed the bit about removing electrons?
owais_148
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
the bit about removing the electrons is not in the cgp guide Name:  Screenshot_20190905-141943_Gallery-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 44
Size:  98.8 KB
sambridge
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by owais_148)
the bit about removing the electrons is not in the cgp guide Name:  Screenshot_20190905-141943_Gallery-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 44
Size:  98.8 KB
Yeah different books will have different definitions and different exam questions have different mark schemes so I wouldn't worry too much as long as you actually understand the concept.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (140)
52.43%
No (127)
47.57%

Watched Threads