Observational study finds vegans and vegetarians at higher risk of strokes Watch

It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a9092401.html
Wooord
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Woooo love that for me
YaliaV
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It says more research is needed and that there are various limitations. There are probably studies which indicate the reverse because you can find a study to support anything.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by YaliaV)
It says more research is needed and that there are various limitations. There are probably studies which indicate the reverse because you can find a study to support anything.
Basically the same as the findings of meat eaters being at higher risk of certain diseases - it's all based on correlation which, as we all know, doesn't always equal causation.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Vegans and vegetarians would have 10 fewer cases of heart diseases but 3 more cases of stroke out of 1000. Its likely that it's related to the lack of vitamins in vegans and vegetarians.

In my opinion, it is still more likely that vegan and vegetarians diet are healthier. But for the life of me I'll never turn away from a meatarian. Rather a short than miserable life.
_Wellies_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The study found vegans/vegetarians faced an increased absolute risk of around 0.3%.

That anyone would consider this newsworthy says a lot about their level scientific literacy.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Absolutely everything causes either cancer or heart disease according to the media, so does meat.
Non-story
awkwardshortguy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ecolier)
In my opinion, it is still more likely that vegan and vegetarians diet are healthier. But for the life of me I'll never turn away from a meatarian. Rather a short than miserable life.
Rather a short and miserable life for the animals you exploit.

Spoiler:
Show
Not that vegans are miserable. Well, except me, but then I've always been miserable.
Last edited by awkwardshortguy; 1 week ago
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by _Wellies_)
The study found vegans/vegetarians faced an increased absolute risk of around 0.3%.

That anyone would consider this newsworthy says a lot about their level scientific literacy.
It was the same for the increase in bowel cancer risk from processed meats, which was an 80% increase on an initial 1% risk (so an absolute increase of 0.8%). People are easily frightened by risk for serious illnesses and not great with numbers.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by _Wellies_)

The increased risk in meat eaters is also less than 1%, doesn't stop every militant vegan from posting countless links to back up their arguments.
Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Haha
username4889668
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
X