The Student Room Group

17 and 23

Scroll to see replies

She kicked you out? I think you should let her back into your life because she obviously made a massive mistake there. This is nothing to kick you out over, and even if she had valid reason to worry, this would be the absolute worst thing she could possible do. Forget the age gap... My boyfriend's brother started dating a 23-year-old when he was 17 years old and they're married with two kids... Do what you can to repair the relationship with your mum and make sure the relationship you are in is a healthy and reciprocal one. Good luck
Original post by Tay2lina
Wait...so how old are you now, and how old were you when you first started going out

I am 18 now, i was 17 when we started seeing each other
First you need to decide whether or not you want your mum back in your life.
If you decide to give her a chance, you need to make it very clear that it's on your terms, and you won't tolerate any negativity from her, especially in regards to your relationship with your bf. Don't be afraid to shoot her down and tell her to keep her hatred to herself, or cut ties again if she starts saying anything negative or tries to come between you and your bf. Your mum either accepts that you're with someone who you love and want to be with, or she can do one.
You're 18 years old now, legally an adult, and can do what you want with your life. As long as you're safe, happy, and healthy, no-one has any right to say anything against your relationship.
Original post by Appirition
First you need to decide whether or not you want your mum back in your life.
If you decide to give her a chance, you need to make it very clear that it's on your terms, and you won't tolerate any negativity from her, especially in regards to your relationship with your bf. Don't be afraid to shoot her down and tell her to keep her hatred to herself, or cut ties again if she starts saying anything negative or tries to come between you and your bf. Your mum either accepts that you're with someone who you love and want to be with, or she can do one.
You're 18 years old now, legally an adult, and can do what you want with your life. As long as you're safe, happy, and healthy, no-one has any right to say anything against your relationship.

i’ve never felt so safe and happy in my entire life, this really helps as i’ve been worried about figuring out how to give her a second chance; thank you!
Original post by Anonymous
i’ve never felt so safe and happy in my entire life, this really helps as i’ve been worried about figuring out how to give her a second chance; thank you!

Yw, :smile:
Original post by ANM775
kicking you out like that was unforgivable imo

That's not a reason to kick someone out.

If I were in your shoes I would tell her to F*** off, and say I want nothing to do with her

So where would you draw a line? What if a daughter of 17 years is seeing a 37 year old man, calls her mother a c**t for trying to stop her going out late at night to see him? She chucked her daughter out for one night and her 37 year old fella suddenly got cold feet after the girl demanded to live with him and the girl learnt her lesson. Her mother took her back but if you don't give your parents the respect they deserve then you will learn the hard way!
Reply 26
Original post by JwoJ
So where would you draw a line? What if a daughter of 17 years is seeing a 37 year old man, calls her mother a c**t for trying to stop her going out late at night to see him? She chucked her daughter out for one night and her 37 year old fella suddenly got cold feet after the girl demanded to live with him and the girl learnt her lesson. Her mother took her back but if you don't give your parents the respect they deserve then you will learn the hard way!

still unforgivable.

17 is past the legal age of consent but not an adult. You can't throw out under 18s
Original post by JwoJ

i hope this isn’t supposed to link back to my original issue too! i never insulted my mother and i hadent even ‘slept with’ my boyfriend until the start of this year! she refused to meet him and told me i wasn’t coming back home until i ditched him. sorry if this wasn’t directed to me in any way!!
Original post by ANM775
still unforgivable.

17 is past the legal age of consent but not an adult. You can't throw out under 18s

I say again! Yes you can be thrown out of your family home at the age of 16! If you don't treat your parent/s with respect and abide by their rules it is their right to throw you out as from 16 years. That is a fact and no many times you refuse that information it will still remain a fact.
i hope this isn’t supposed to link back to my original issue too! i never insulted my mother and i hadent even ‘slept with’ my boyfriend until the start of this year! she refused to meet him and told me i wasn’t coming back home until i ditched him. sorry if this wasn’t directed to me in any way!!

I'm judging you or anyone else only each circumstance is individual and no one knows the full story. I am only stating the law and that is a parent can throw out their child from 16 years old and that applies all situations, right or wrong.
Original post by JwoJ
I'm judging you or anyone else only each circumstance is individual and no one knows the full story. I am only stating the law and that is a parent can throw out their child from 16 years old and that applies all situations, right or wrong.

*Not judging you or anyone else. Each circumstance is different and no one knows both sides of the problem. But the people commenting that a child cannot be thrown out under 18 are wrong, The legal age is in actual fact 16. I wish you all the best.
Original post by JwoJ
I say again! Yes you can be thrown out of your family home at the age of 16! If you don't treat your parent/s with respect and abide by their rules it is their right to throw you out as from 16 years. That is a fact and no many times you refuse that information it will still remain a fact.

I actually don't personally believe 17 and 23 is an unreasonable age difference and it would not have been an issue in my house. If that supports.
I am 17 and my boyfriend is 23 - my mother kicked me out because of this, before even learning his name or anything about him, now she is trying to come back into my life???

you do you boo xxx
Reply 33
Original post by yaja_jaswal
I mean anyone dating someone under the age of 18 when they're well over is seen as a paedophile

That is not true. The UK has no 'age range' laws. If someone is 16 or over, they can sleep with whoever they want, barring a few specific circumstances such as their teachers, stuff like that. It is not against the law for a 17 year old (or 16 year old!) to sleep with a 23 year old. 17 + 23 wouldn't even really be cause for comment for most people.
Reply 34
Original post by JwoJ

Sorry but these UK lawyers seem to imply that it's illegal

and i'd rather believe them than you

http://www.lawandparents.co.uk/can-we-legally-throw-our-16-year-old-son-out.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending