Online MSc. Computer Science: UH vs York and Bath

Watch
reyjusuf
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,

I am planning to take MSc. Computer Science via online. The only universities offering it are UH, York and Bath. I understand that UH's ranking is below York and Bath. Is MSc. Computer Science from UH worth less than from York or Bath?

Thanks
HertsExRep
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by reyjusuf)
Hello,

I am planning to take MSc. Computer Science via online. The only universities offering it are UH, York and Bath. I understand that UH's ranking is below York and Bath. Is MSc. Computer Science from UH worth less than from York or Bath?

Thanks
At the end of the day, a degree is a degree. Most employers will be more interested in your experience, projects and grade, rather than where you studied. To put it another way, the reputation of UH can't be that bad if HSBC appointed a Herts alumni as their chairman.

Are you able to give me a link or course code. Having a brief look, all CS courses at Herts are accredited by the BCS, meaning that the course meets the academic requirements for the industry. I know that it's the same situation with accreditation over at Bath, but I don't think that all University of York CS courses are accredited, so check for that when making your decision.

With regards to league table position, Hertfordshire is more teaching focused than research focused. This helps improve student satisfaction, but depending on your source, can weaken the University in the league tables. League tables are made up of a range of metrics, which are weighted depending on their importance. This means that in league tables which have a considerable weighting for Research, UH under-performs as it doesn't do as much research as similarly sized Universities. Hertfordshire's position in the table has certainly fluctuated in the last decade, peaking at 41st. In the last 5 years, UH dropped a bit, but has more recently begun to climb the table again - it was one of the biggest climbers in the Complete University Guide's 2020 table, jumping up by 12 places.

Hertfordshire has one of the highest graduate employment rates in the east of England, with 96% in work or further study within 6 months of graduating. Hertfordshire has a TEF Gold rating, showing that the University "consistently delivers outstanding teaching and learning". Additionally, Hertfordshire is home to one of the oldest University Computer Science departments, having been established in 1965. I wouldn't say that a degree in CS is worth less at UH than at Bath or York - there are many other factors to consider than league table position.

Do let me know if you have anymore questions about our course or the online/distance learning programme we offer
reyjusuf
Rep:
?
Thanks for your response. Here are the link to the course website for UH, Bath and York

https://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/computer-science-online

https://online.bath.ac.uk/online-cou...mputer-science

https://online.york.ac.uk/study-onli...cience-online/
HertsExRep
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just to clarify accreditation which I touched on in my previous post.

Having looked at the above courses, it appears none are accredited, however I am aware that Hertfordshire is seeking accreditation.

Are there any aspects of the course you are specifically interested that you would like me to find out more about? The course fact sheet is definitely worth a read, which can be found here.

Don't hesitate to ask if there's anything else you would like to know about UH
mrwhitz
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Have you decided where you will be studying? I'm going to be studying my BSc Computer Science (online) at UH. I also received an offer for the on campus degree but I am now a young, family man so have to balance work and studies. Wish you the best of luck with your studies!
reyjusuf
Rep:
?
(Original post by mrwhitz)
Have you decided where you will be studying? I'm going to be studying my BSc Computer Science (online) at UH. I also received an offer for the on campus degree but I am now a young, family man so have to balance work and studies. Wish you the best of luck with your studies!
I have applied to all 3 universities although I think I have to wait until January because I haven't received my Bachelor's transcript yet. Good luck with your studies too ^^
HertsExRep
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mrwhitz)
Congratulations on joining us at University of Hertfordshire! I hope you enjoy the course
HertsExRep
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ltsmith)
york or bath are fine.

herts is not a good uni.
Unfortunately our TEF ratings and graduate employability statistics say otherwise
Like2Code
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Guys - I've also applied for both the York and UH online MSc Computer Science programs. Your feedback as to how your experience so far would be much appreciated. I would agree with the UH marketing team's comments but only to a degree as the reputation of the institution does matter, however, if the University is better at teaching the program, then that is something which should be considered too. Look forward to hearing from you.

@UH Marketing Team - thank you for answers above. Would you be kind enough to advise what programming languages are taught on the UH program, and whether this program is aligned to software development, as opposed to other areas of the Computer Science (Networking, cyber security etc).
chriscpritchard
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm currently in the process of finishing my MSc online at Herts. I chose herts because I happen to live nearby (plus I did my UG degree at herts), so the option (although I ended up not taking advantage of it) of taking some modules on campus was attractive to me.

The course itself was pretty good, but I would say it's in the process of going through its periodic review and there are likely to be substantial changes to the program, it's definately going to be worth looking at the new documentation when they come out, as it's likely that the new program will be running from september 2020.

The support I recieved throughout the course was great - My modules covered java, javascript, HTML, CSS, C / C++ and some networking.

I'd reccomend the course, and definately keep an eye out for the new course documents when they're published!
Like2Code
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by chriscpritchard)
I'm currently in the process of finishing my MSc online at Herts. I chose herts because I happen to live nearby (plus I did my UG degree at herts), so the option (although I ended up not taking advantage of it) of taking some modules on campus was attractive to me.

The course itself was pretty good, but I would say it's in the process of going through its periodic review and there are likely to be substantial changes to the program, it's definately going to be worth looking at the new documentation when they come out, as it's likely that the new program will be running from september 2020.

The support I recieved throughout the course was great - My modules covered java, javascript, HTML, CSS, C / C++ and some networking.

I'd reccomend the course, and definately keep an eye out for the new course documents when they're published!
Thanks for this Chris. That is definitely interesting to know and your advice is much appreciated. Just out of curiosity, what was your background in terms of your undergrad and employment history. Have you previously worked in a tech environment or are you trying to make a switch? I think it is interesting to note your positive appraisal of the support that you have received from the Uni.
chriscpritchard
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Like2Code)
Thanks for this Chris. That is definitely interesting to know and your advice is much appreciated. Just out of curiosity, what was your background in terms of your undergrad and employment history. Have you previously worked in a tech environment or are you trying to make a switch? I think it is interesting to note your positive appraisal of the support that you have received from the Uni.
Undergraduate degree in Paramedic Science (also at Hertfordshire), worked as a frontline paramedic for various trusts, and had a management role. Currently work in education teaching clinical staff in end of life and palliative care.

Don't plan on making the immediate switch to tech, but would like to potentially explore research into technology in healthcare (potentially at PhD level).
Like2Code
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Undergraduate degree in Paramedic Science (also at Hertfordshire), worked as a frontline paramedic for various trusts, and had a management role. Currently work in education teaching clinical staff in end of life and palliative care.

Don't plan on making the immediate switch to tech, but would like to potentially explore research into technology in healthcare (potentially at PhD level).
wow. definitely a very varied and interesting role you're currently undertaking. Given that you are currently doing this MSc under the distance learning/online facility, would you say that there is sufficient video content to supplement the teaching for each module? Is it the case that there is substantially more reading material than you would have originally thought?
chriscpritchard
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
wow. definitely a very varied and interesting role you're currently undertaking. Given that you are currently doing this MSc under the distance learning/online facility, would you say that there is sufficient video content to supplement the teaching for each module? Is it the case that there is substantially more reading material than you would have originally thought?
There wasn't that much video content to be honest (although I think they are trying to increase the amount), but the written content that was available was easy to follow and split into chunks. Plus it's easy and fast to get in touch with the tutors!
Like2Code
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There wasn't that much video content to be honest (although I think they are trying to increase the amount), but the written content that was available was easy to follow and split into chunks. Plus it's easy and fast to get in touch with the tutors!
ok understood. Thank you. how did you find the experience of learning now programming languages with this course, given you're from a non-tech background. Would you say the resources provided by the University to learn these were sufficient or would you say you had to go to secondary sources?
chriscpritchard
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ok understood. Thank you. how did you find the experience of learning now programming languages with this course, given you're from a non-tech background. Would you say the resources provided by the University to learn these were sufficient or would you say you had to go to secondary sources?
I had to go to secondary sources, but no more than I would expect for a postgraduate degree as independent study is important.

I certainly did for my project, but that's part of the point (whereas for the introductory programming module, I used the textbook and course content for the most part, with secondary sources to supplement as I was aiming for a distinction)
Like2Code
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I had to go to secondary sources, but no more than I would expect for a postgraduate degree as independent study is important.

I certainly did for my project, but that's part of the point (whereas for the introductory programming module, I used the textbook and course content for the most part, with secondary sources to supplement as I was aiming for a distinction)
ah ok - did you manage that get that distinction then?
chriscpritchard
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ah ok - did you manage that get that distinction then?
I'll find out in a couple of weeks once my dissertation result comes out, although I'm in for a solid shot!
Like2Code
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
wow mate loving the enthusiasm. I'm sure you will do fine!

in terms of the programming languages you learnt, I recall you mentioned languages such as HTML, C++ and C being covered in the course. How quickly were you expected to learn them. Were you provided the basics/101 in those languages as part of the course or was that something you had to do yourself?
chriscpritchard
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
wow mate loving the enthusiasm. I'm sure you will do fine!

in terms of the programming languages you learnt, I recall you mentioned languages such as HTML, C++ and C being covered in the course. How quickly were you expected to learn them. Were you provided the basics/101 in those languages as part of the course or was that something you had to do yourself?
Very much depends,

C / C++ were covered in one of my modules, but it was with a security focus and a module pre-requisite was an understanding of C/C++ so I knew what I was getting into. HTML was for a module that didn't have a pre-requisite and the module covered the 101s...

That said, the course is undergoing its revalidation (although the review event was held in December, so information about the new structure should be published soon) and as such the modules and content are likely to change significantly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (75)
22.73%
Excited but a bit nervous (151)
45.76%
Not bothered either way (38)
11.52%
I'm really nervous (66)
20%

Watched Threads