The Student Room Group

English lit a level poetry

looking for exemplar essays for poems of the decade and any tips !! need to boost my B to an A
Hi,
I have just finished my A-level course(Lit, History, Law)

Best advice to give you, ask your tutor for some. I used to ask for some, read through and make notes on what was good and what needed to be improved. This also allowed me to improve my own writing, by taking these techniques. The reason why i say to ask your tutor, is because they will be able to find you ones that suit your current level of set skills without it being too hard. Also, they will recognise the techniques in the essay that you will need for your studies.

if not, hope you find some online!
Good Luck with your A-Levels :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Emilyxoxo:)
Hi,
I have just finished my A-level course(Lit, History, Law)

Interesting. What were your grades (if you don't mind disclosing them), and what is your undergraduate degree (and where are you studying it?)? :smile: I'm guessing law or something at one of the universities in the Golden Triangle. :smile:

Hey @leahhbennett, exemplars are on Edexcel's website. Here's some from the 2016 exams. There are also downloadable files containing full-marks answers.
@Tolgarda
I managed to get ABC! I also did an EPQ and received an A(also highly recommend anyone to do one of these, just in case you have a bad exam!!) I found Law really hard so to receive a C I was delighted with! I’m going to the university of Edge Hill to study English Literature. The university is lovely and I’m so excited to begin my next chapter! Thank you for asking. What stage of life are you at now? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Emilyxoxo:)
@Tolgarda
I managed to get ABC! I also did an EPQ and received an A(also highly recommend anyone to do one of these, just in case you have a bad exam!!) I found Law really hard so to receive a C I was delighted with! I’m going to the university of Edge Hill to study English Literature. The university is lovely and I’m so excited to begin my next chapter! Thank you for asking. What stage of life are you at now? :smile:

I'm a student that has just begun the academic year in the upper sixth.

I got a B in my EPQ, and I'm predicted A*AC in English language, English literature and chemistry. :smile:

Good luck and have fun!
Original post by Tolgarda
I'm a student that has just begun the academic year in the upper sixth.

I got a B in my EPQ, and I'm predicted A*AC in English language, English literature and chemistry. :smile:

Good luck and have fun!

Ahh amazing! Hope you enjoy year 13, good luck when the time comes around. Also, all the best for future studies, I’m sure you’ll smash it!! :smile:
Make sure you know your form and structure! E.g. pentameter, tetrameter, iambs, spondees, quatrains, couplets, irregular rhyme schemes, steady rhythms, half rhymes etc etc etc. What I do is I pair a meaning to each one. An example of this would be that half rhymes suggest uncertainty - then I would apply this to my question. If it was love then it shows that the relationship isn’t going to work, or if it’s death then it could show that death is near etc. Another example would be iambic pentameter suggesting that Romeo and Juliet are one cohesive unit, almost like a heart, and without each other they will die. A lot of people miss Form and structure in poetry and just focus on language which is a huge mistake. I do Lang lit combined but managed to get almost full marks in my poetry section in my AS exam. Hope this helps!
thank you all !!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending