Lavender18
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I really want to carry on studying English Literature and Creative Writing after I graduate from my UK university in June, 2020. However, I would love to carry on studying it in New York, but I have no idea of how to achieve this. I''ve tried looking online at some websites, but I've only managed to find undergrad programmes, and I will have graduated by next year. If anyone could point me in the right direction, or offer some useful advice, that would be extremely appreciated
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lavender18)
I really want to carry on studying English Literature and Creative Writing after I graduate from my UK university in June, 2020. However, I would love to carry on studying it in New York, but I have no idea of how to achieve this. I''ve tried looking online at some websites, but I've only managed to find undergrad programmes, and I will have graduated by next year. If anyone could point me in the right direction, or offer some useful advice, that would be extremely appreciated
You'll need to look into graduate schools, as these are the ones that award master's degrees and doctorates.

I found this website which gives you some things to consider for international students wanting to study in the USA: https://www.topuniversities.com/wher...ional-students
QHF
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lavender18)
This isn't something I can offer much help on but:

- You might find that you need to choose whether you want to pursue one discipline or the other (English or creative writing) -- I don't know whether postgraduate degrees in both at once are common in the US.

- Master's degrees in the US are usually designed to be terminal qualifications, unlike in the UK where they tend to be designed partially as preparation for PhD study. (In the US PhDs are longer, and the first few years are quite like a master's course anyway.) You'll have to think about whether you want a master's, or want to go in for the long, long trek of a US-style PhD programme. Entry to either kind of degree is likely to be very competitive, especially at the more desirable universities.

- I imagine you've thought about this but it is going to be expensive, especially in NYC, unless you can secure extensive funding. Don't expect postgraduate study in English or creative writing to lead smoothly to sustainable employment either in or out of academia. That's not to say that you shouldn't do it, or that these degrees make you unemployable! But think carefully about why you want to do this and what you'll do with the qualification afterwards (and also what you'll do if you decide to give up partway through).

- thegradcafe.com is a site and set of forums dedicated to postgraduate study in North America, and might possibly be helpful (I don't know the place well myself).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19