Jeremy Corbyn takes record for most govt defeats as Leader of the Opposition Watch

AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
The previous record holder was Thatcher, at 40 defeats.

This arguably makes him the most successful opposition leader in British History.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)

This arguably makes him the most successful opposition leader in British History.
It’s more a reflection that those two were leaders of the opposition against minority governments. The fact that he has broken records for council and European election performances (poorly) is probably more telling.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Lets not get carried away here. I’d argue May/Johnson have been defeated more by their own party than by Corbyn.
jc933
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
As long as he enters the record books for only that and not being Prime Minister then im fine with that.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Much as I disagreed profoundly with almost all of the policies of the government of Margaret Thatcher, at least she was fit to hold the position of Prime Minister.

Mrs Thatcher never sought to shut down debate by long proroguing of the House.
Mrs Thatcher went and spoke with EU leaders and engaged in proper negotiations.
Mrs Thatcher never had a Leader of the House who could not sit properly in debates.
Mrs Thatcher never expelled anyone who voted against her government.
FramedBlue
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
He used to be a terrorist for the Irish, so why should I care? Even if he breaks records, his past is still there and he has nothing but negative comments to say.
Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I still would never trust him to run the country, he is bad news
yaja_jaswal
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)

He's hardly successful lol. Most of the time the Tories have been shut down by their own party. Corbyn has had many leave the party and become independent so that would not call him successful either.
JanusGodofDoors
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
With respect to Jeremy Corbyn, who has managed to at least slightly redeem himself over the past couple of weeks in my eyes, Johnson is rather low-hanging fruit. In all seriousness, the PM has made a great number of gaffes and errors (surprising given the undeniable political intellect of Cummings) that no one should be surprised the leader of the opposition has chosen to attack. By committing himself to a purist version of Brexit, Johnson has also committed to conflict with the legislative branch, which has previously stated it's disapproval of a no-deal Brexit. It would be sensible to remember that this is not necessarily a reflection of Corbyn's strength, but rather Johnson's weakness in the current house of commons. Current polling indicates Corbyn is significantly behind Johnson, which it could be argued shows he is only successful within the commons, and even there only in his post as leader of the largest pro-Europe bloc, not as a labour politician (rebel tories have made clear their disdain for his policies). The most significant measure of Corbyn's success will be a general election, especially as a GE before 31st October may give Johnson an opportunity to build a majority for no deal (by flipping Opposition seats and de selecting tory moderates).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (39)
7.6%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (299)
58.28%
No (175)
34.11%

Watched Threads