what a-levels should i choose, forensic science!? please help :)

Watch
amy03louise
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
hi! i’ve just started year 11 and soon i’m going to be choosing my a-levels! i’m interested in a career in forensic science and i want to do a uni course called “forensic science and applied biology” as it opens up careers for biology too. obviously, biology is a firm choice for me. i’m struggling with the other two, my best science grades are in biology and physics so maybe i should take those. i’m predicted a 7 in those and a 6 in chemistry. i’ve heard that chem is the hardest of the lot and i know forensic science is based around it but this course it geared more towards biology. and i know i’ll enjoy forensic science, i just don’t like chemistry because of my teachers. i also want to take geography as it’s my best subject and i thought it would be a good easier subject to take when doing 2 sciences. or psychology? maybe i could just do biology? what does everyone think based off past experiences (or not lol!) i also don’t mind not doing specifically forensic science as this course is great for different careers in biology too! i spoke to the people who run it (they happened to come to my school for a talk thing) and they said i need biology and the other sciences make you look good for the course but aren’t as necessary. i just don’t think i can cope with the chemistry workload, and i understand physics better. ideally i’d like to just do bio. i’m sorry you had to read this essay but if you have an opinion/advice please reply!
Last edited by amy03louise; 6 months ago
euphrosynay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
purely based on what i've heard from other people, chemistry is indeed a large workload and if you're not sure about it, it's best either not to do it or to look at the specification in depth and see if it really interests you, then decide. but you've just started year 11 so you don't need to go that far now! if you do end up deciding to do it, though, there are loads of online resources and practice that can help you maybe more than your teachers will if you don't like them, so don't worry about that too much. just do the subjects you enjoy and you'll be fine.

it's good you have biology down as a firm choice and that it'll give you lots of options. physics is also good too - though its content doesn't really relate to forensic science, it'll give you even more practical and theoretical problem-solving skills. i wouldn't recommend doing all 3 sciences due to, again, the workload, and you may want more rounded subjects, but taking one or two will benefit you.

looking at the (worcester) course for forensic science and applied biology, there's of course a lot of content relating to anatomy, anthropology, and cell/micro- biology, all of which appear in biology a-level to an extent and are useful for forensic investigation and analysis. of course, in studying something so closely related to humans, psychology is involved too, and studying it at a-level may give you a good idea of what the subject is like, how psychological research is conducted, etc.

[entry requirements details below, feel free to skip]

Spoiler:
Show
worcester's ucas tariff points requirements are either 104 ucas points (equivalent to BCC) with A2 biology or 96 ucas points (equivalent to CCC) with A2 biology and another science, maths or statistics.

you could certainly get in just doing biology out of the three sciences, especially if you get really good grades. i don't know how much you'd want to take maths a-level, but if you're considering it it would be helpful.

are there any subjects in the humanities, languages, etc. that you'd want to take as a third a-level? it would give you a nice break from science(s), help you be rounded, and help you express yourself in writing/speaking even better which will be useful.

in any case, you can do anything else as long as you do biology, and i'm sure you're capable of whatever you choose! if you get stressed choosing, focus on what's closer ahead or talk to someone more about it. best of luck!
amy03louise
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by euphrosynay)
purely based on what i've heard from other people, chemistry is indeed a large workload and if you're not sure about it, it's best either not to do it or to look at the specification in depth and see if it really interests you, then decide. but you've just started year 11 so you don't need to go that far now! if you do end up deciding to do it, though, there are loads of online resources and practice that can help you maybe more than your teachers will if you don't like them, so don't worry about that too much. just do the subjects you enjoy and you'll be fine.

it's good you have biology down as a firm choice and that it'll give you lots of options. physics is also good too - though its content doesn't really relate to forensic science, it'll give you even more practical and theoretical problem-solving skills. i wouldn't recommend doing all 3 sciences due to, again, the workload, and you may want more rounded subjects, but taking one or two will benefit you.

looking at the (worcester) course for forensic science and applied biology, there's of course a lot of content relating to anatomy, anthropology, and cell/micro- biology, all of which appear in biology a-level to an extent and are useful for forensic investigation and analysis. of course, in studying something so closely related to humans, psychology is involved too, and studying it at a-level may give you a good idea of what the subject is like, how psychological research is conducted, etc.

[entry requirements details below, feel free to skip]

Spoiler:
Show
worcester's ucas tariff points requirements are either 104 ucas points (equivalent to BCC) with A2 biology or 96 ucas points (equivalent to CCC) with A2 biology and another science, maths or statistics.

you could certainly get in just doing biology out of the three sciences, especially if you get really good grades. i don't know how much you'd want to take maths a-level, but if you're considering it it would be helpful.

are there any subjects in the humanities, languages, etc. that you'd want to take as a third a-level? it would give you a nice break from science(s), help you be rounded, and help you express yourself in writing/speaking even better which will be useful.

in any case, you can do anything else as long as you do biology, and i'm sure you're capable of whatever you choose! if you get stressed choosing, focus on what's closer ahead or talk to someone more about it. best of luck!
wow thankyou so so much for your help!! i really appreciate you looking into that for me and i live close to worcester so that’s the uni course im really i interested in! and i think you’re right, the workload would be too much for me doing chemistry as well, and physics isn’t all that relevant. i think from your suggestions my current idea is: biology, psychology and geography! thanks again for all your help!!
Last edited by amy03louise; 6 months ago
euphrosynay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by amy03louise)
wow thankyou so so much for your help!! i really appreciate you looking into that for me and i live close to worcester so that’s the uni course im really i interested in! and i think you’re right, the workload would be too much for me doing chemistry as well, and physics isn’t all that relevant. i think from your suggestions my current idea is: biology, psychology and geography! thanks again for all your help!!
you're very welcome!! i'm glad to help and i'm glad you're surer of your choices, they sound great and i hope you're looking forward to them and if you ever want to ask anything about gcses themselves i'm here!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.82%
No (501)
66.18%

Watched Threads