Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Like all of these things its a load of crap produced by ignorance. The irony of it is subjects like media studies are probably harder than many of those listed at the top.
    how?

ReputationRep:
    It's all relative to your talents. Like I would find art so much harder than something like geography

ReputationRep:
    I reali dnt understand why stats is well respected unless you want to do something related at uni or life..eg actuary. not sayin its a bad job though!!!!
    Eitherway I dnt see the point as long as the a-levels apply to what you want to do and you enjoy them thats all that matters. you cud do f.maths but not be happy with what your doin and interested in the subjects credibilty which is sad.
    How bout those who do one of the a-levels in the 'not respected'?? thats unfair..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Subjects I think should be placed lower:
    *RS
    *Economics
    *Statistics
    *Art
    *Philosophy
    philosophy should be placed higher, not lower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Subjects I think should be placed lower:
    *RS
    *Economics
    *Statistics
    *Art
    *Philosophy

What about history of art and critical thinking?
    How does classics differ from classical languages?
    Religious studies/philosphy is respected. You have to write a lot of essays and need to be able to argue logically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hihihihi)
    Religious studies/philosphy is respected. You have to write a lot of essays and need to be able to argue logically.
    RS is a half arsed version of philosophy IMO

ReputationRep:
    I don't actually do RS, but in my school RS is philosophy and ethics. I think it depends on the syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    Additional Further Mathematics
    Further Mathematics
    Mathematics
    English Literature and Language
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Economics
    Geography
    Biology
    (Languages)
    History

ReputationRep:
    I would say definately place politics higher...very hard in terms of amount to write in given time!!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't actually do RS, but in my school RS is philosophy and ethics. I think it depends on the syllabus.
    No, the subject 'Philosophy' and 'Religious Studies' differ in complexity of the subjects dealt with. Relgious studies is not as indepth.

ReputationRep:
    Im sorry but art is in no way an 'easy/mickey mouse/less respected' subject. I have done both traditional A levels and vocational A levels( which I'm doing now in the form of a BTEC ND in textiles and I have found the workload to be more time consuming than all of my A levels put together. Since starting my BTEC I have had to manage my time a lot better than I did with A levels and many more hours have been spent doing drawings etc. At the end of this course I will have a good portfolio which actually shows work that I've thought of, designed and made a final product- in other words I used my head to think of something new and orginal. Unlike A levels which you recieve a text book from your tutor, do the work and then complete exams and just have a flimsy certificate to show at the end. I know this is not everyone opinion and that some people like maths etc but for me I found that this 'less respected subject' is going to take me places in the future and maybe if I'm lucky and work hard, become a respected designer. I find all this 'is this A level more respected than others?' very misleading as it does put people of doing what they love and have a real passion for. I made that mistake with A levels and am now doing what I love, so please quit with the cr*p!

ReputationRep:
    there is no classics A level to start off with. It's classical civilisation. Classics as a subject refers to the study of greek and latin languages as a way to study their world. classical civilisation requires no language work.

However, my main point is that you've grossly underestimated how respected greek and latin A levels are. The head of a top law firm once told me that she rates classics graduates above law graduates because they have had a more rigorous logical and intellectual training. Rewind 50 years or so, and you'll find that sitting a latin exam was a common requirement for entry into cambridge for any course. And even further back, the whole educational system was based on the study of greek and latin. and you're trying to tell me that all of this is less credible than art a level?

And what a surprise: the subjects that you are taking are on the first list.

ReputationRep:
    it depends on what exam board you do also.

ReputationRep:
    The only one that definatly deserves the top place is Mathematics/Futher Maths. Universities, and employers love people who are good at Maths. Thats why if you do a numerically based degree, you will be very sought after.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what career you want to go into - I want to be an English teacher therefore I'm studying English, Drama and Media - all subjects that will come in handy when teaching. Teaching is a respected career, so why should my subjects not be. I chose them so I can do well in my career, not because I thought Media would be a cinch (its not btw). Drama is bleeding difficult this year. You've got to be that way inclined to do the lessons. I would never have done a maths A level because I don't like the subject.

As far as I'm concerned, A levels are equal, that's why they all possess the same points and level of Education...

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. RS is equal to History and English in credibility in my opinion. Similarly, there is no way that you can put Government and Politics in the same category as General Studies. You can not go to any GS lessons, do zero revision, and still get a good grade in the exams. However, try doing that in Politics-good luck!

ReputationRep:
    It seems to me as though you have not grouped these subjects in 'credibility' order, but more by the traditional values they hold.

As there is a shortage of scientists, engineers and electricians, some people may hold electronics and computing in a much high esteem than you value them. This is also the case with subjects such as RS, Music and Classics, which provide those applying for medicine, for example, with evidence of critical writing skillls and the ability to look at things from different perspectives, and in this respect are valued by universities as evidence of diversity away from the science subjects required for the course.

I am not sure to whom it is you are trying to establish which subjects are most credible, as in each case, it is down to the individual's achievement in the subject. Surely, a candidate with AAAA in RS, History, Government and Politics and Media, would appear a much more credible asset to a university, whereas a student with DDEE in maths, further maths, biology and french would be a bit useless in their opinion.

From the students' perspective, it is their ability to excel at any given subject which is more important, then how credible it is from a traditional perspective. Any subject looses its value if it is not done well. Also, I see that non of the newer, so-called Mickey Mouse A-Levels are in the 'first division' of your table and I don't think that you can generalise how credible a subject is, based on how well-established it is. Times have changed, and this is not reflected in your rankings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grifter)
    philosophy should be placed higher, not lower.

Definately. It's a killer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    Excuse me, but what about electronics.

You may think that further maths is very credible, but you try to get into an art degree with it if you have no other art A levels.
    Clearly physics is more demanding than chemistry

ReputationRep:
    The reason is that media is a doss subject is anyone who scientificlly minded could get an A where as some one who get an A in media could never get an A at a science

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.