Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MickyFinstar)
    I know this is going to be contraversial but iv had a go of listing the a level subjects in order of credability they receive. Firstly we have to define credability as the merit universities give the alevel on face value. Iv probably forgotten a few alevels so just mention them. Iv also catergerised them into 3 groups, well resprected, respected, not as much respected but still have some creditability as they require a decent amount of work

Further Mathematics
    English Lit
    Chemistry
    Maths
    Physics
    English Lang
    History
    Music
    Economics
    Modern Foriegn langauages (French, German, Spanish)
    English Joint
    Geography
    Statistics
    Biology

Art
    Electronics
    Classical foriegn languages (Greek, Latin)
    Philosophy
    Classics
    Religious Studies
    Computing
    Psycology
    History of art
    Design Technology: Product design

Government and politics
    Business studies
    Theatre studies
    Critical thinking
    General studies
    Media Studies
    Drama
    Sports studies
    Film studies
    Photography
    I can't believe you put Gov/Pol in the same catergory as General Studies. That is more than ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaggenDaZ)
    with subjects such as maths and physics you have to actually understand the subjects to be able to do them - im not sayign with the others you cant but it seems with subjects such as biology, you need to just learn lots and lots of crap whereas with physics you have to know WHAT to actually do
    Lots of crap? Is it crap beacuse you are/were rubbish at it? All the people I know taking physics think it is alot easier than any other subject they're doing, so that's out the window.

ReputationRep:
    relevant article : http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...245686,00.html

For those who claim "it's all down to personal abilities" I agree with you to a certain extent but, to quote from the article above "It found that students with a grade B at GCSE in history, economics, geography, English language and literature, sociology and business studies went on to score a grade C on average in those subjects at A level. But those with a grade B at GCSE in maths, computing, German, French, chemistry, physics and biology were more likely to score a grade D at A level."

EDIT: Eng Lang ahead of Greek and Latin! :eek: Ever tried studying Classical Greek!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    those with a grade B at GCSE in biology were more likely to score a grade D at A level."
    Is that so? I got a B for GCSE Bio, B for AS and am predicted A for A2, as i was only 4 marks off an A for AS. I must be super clever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C4>O7)
    I have infact taken every ALevel and I can clarify the most hardcore subjects are Physics, Maths, Chemistry and German (and F/Maths, but for some strange reason only to AS :confused:.. )

I found all essay subjects superficial low-useful-knowledge-aquired to time ratio...
    You really expect us to believe you have done every A-level there is? And that sentence doesn't actually make a whole lot of sense, so I seriously doubt you could even pass an essay subject :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It does depend where your strengths are - for example i'm doing physics chemistry and maths 'cos i prefer to learn methods of how to do things and then apply them than necessarily learn facts which may be true of some other subjects (i'm not saying that these are the only subjects that this applies to). However, i'm also doing music for a change - it's all about finding the right balance IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AATTMM)
    I can't believe you put Gov/Pol in the same catergory as General Studies. That is more than ignorant.

lol that is exactly what i said in my previous post.

ok, how about to end this arguement once and for all we'll all meet up in ten years time and see who is the most successful in terms of what course they took. Surely that will determine the 'pointless' subjects:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I know, I was joking. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    lol that is exactly what i said in my previous post.

ok, how about to end this arguement once and for all we'll all meet up in ten years time and see who is the most successful in terms of what course they took. Surely that will determine the 'pointless' subjects:rolleyes:
    I second that.

ReputationRep:
    While I don't agree with this ranking of Alevels, I am very interested to see that I'm doing the top 5 subjects (well, only AS further maths). Still, like I said, I think it's a pointless exercise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    You really expect us to believe you have done every A-level there is? And that sentence doesn't actually make a whole lot of sense, so I seriously doubt you could even pass an essay subject :rolleyes:
    Yes that's right- I expect you to believe I've done every subject there is you complete spanner...
    Oh and whats this- starting a sentance with 'and'- I seriously doubt you could even pass an essay subject...

ReputationRep:
    Hmm...

Maths - 92% A
    Chemistry - 86% A
    Biology - 80% A (remarked, was B)
    Art - 70% B (remarked, was C)
    General studies - 51% D

Supposedly I'm better at harder subjects. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    So C4>O7 when did you do all these subjects then?
    oh btw, hope you don't mind, but I nicked your pic for my wallpaper- I loved that film!

(Original post by AATTMM)
    Lots of crap? Is it crap beacuse you are/were rubbish at it? All the people I know taking physics think it is alot easier than any other subject they're doing, so that's out the window.
    yeah they think it's easy but they generally suck at it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C4>O7)
    Yes that's right- I expect you to believe I've done every subject there is you complete spanner...
    Oh and whats this- starting a sentance with 'and'- I seriously doubt you could even pass an essay subject...
    Yeah sure, that's why I'm predicted ABBB in 4 essay subjects, you twit. Starting a sentence with 'oh' isn't exactly idiomatically correct either Come on then, if you've done every A-level, name them all...although I doubt it since your profile says you're currently studying for AS-levels, which would indicate you haven't done ANY A-levels yet, let alone them all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePenguinMafia)
    Hmm...

Maths - 92% A
    Chemistry - 86% A
    Biology - 80% A (remarked, was B)
    Art - 70% B (remarked, was C)
    General studies - 51% D

Supposedly I'm better at harder subjects. :rolleyes:
    This should be proof enough for any idiots who insist on labelling certain subjects as 'mickey mouse.' According to some people, General Studies is the easiest subject there is and anyone halfway intelligent can get an A with no work. So why is it that an obviously intelligent student with 3 As in 'hardcore' sciences only got a low D? Proof that no subjects are any easier than others; people are just naturally good at different things. Case closed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaggenDaZ)
    yeah they think it's easy but they generally suck at it
    Not really, because they're getting As.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.R)
    It does depend where your strengths are - for example i'm doing physics chemistry and maths 'cos i prefer to learn methods of how to do things and then apply them than necessarily learn facts which may be true of some other subjects (i'm not saying that these are the only subjects that this applies to). However, i'm also doing music for a change - it's all about finding the right balance IMO.
    This just about sums it up. Some people are just better in some subjects than others and everyone likes to think that they are doing the 'brainy' ones. I know someone who likes to go on about how much more advanced the Sciences are, and this person struggled with English at GCSE level.

ReputationRep:
    i can never understand why people have this desire to measure everything. has anyone seen that advert, i think its motorola, you can meaure a lot of things but how can you measure style. even if you were to produce a list it would be almost useless. for isntance if you did grade the subjects in order generally and say maths came out higher than history do you really think that a BA history course is going to say oh bugger me lets start giving maths people offers rather than people with a-level history.

i concede that in the grand scheme of things there is probably an order but why waste time trying to do it. and also what does it matter? this kind of thread is the sort of thing that newbies will see and think oh i better not do so and so beucase its not as prestigious. the fact of the matter is an A in a 'rubbish' subject is far better than a lower grade in another subject. i took history, aea history, govt&pol, eco&&bus and geography becauase they were subjects i thought i would be good at and that i enjoyed. if i had been good at photography, classicical civilisation, art history and drama then i would have taken those.

very few universites are going to really discriminate on your course choices. courses which are seen as harder such as the sciences merely see the realities of supply and demand hit. if its harder to get an A in Physics than History then a typical offer at a certain uni for physics may well be BBB while for history its AAB

although its positive you havent tried to rank them numerically i think its still a counterproductive exercise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luce20)
    Im sorry but art is in no way an 'easy/mickey mouse/less respected' subject. I have done both traditional A levels and vocational A levels( which I'm doing now in the form of a BTEC ND in textiles and I have found the workload to be more time consuming than all of my A levels put together. Since starting my BTEC I have had to manage my time a lot better than I did with A levels and many more hours have been spent doing drawings etc. At the end of this course I will have a good portfolio which actually shows work that I've thought of, designed and made a final product- in other words I used my head to think of something new and orginal. Unlike A levels which you recieve a text book from your tutor, do the work and then complete exams and just have a flimsy certificate to show at the end. I know this is not everyone opinion and that some people like maths etc but for me I found that this 'less respected subject' is going to take me places in the future and maybe if I'm lucky and work hard, become a respected designer. I find all this 'is this A level more respected than others?' very misleading as it does put people of doing what they love and have a real passion for. I made that mistake with A levels and am now doing what I love, so please quit with the cr*p!
    I tried to read what you said but couldn't. With all the extensive education you've had, it appears you seem to have missed out the part detailing the purpose and practicality of using paragraphs. Might be something to look in to...

You too squideye.

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.