The Student Room Group

Need help - urgent

I need help, urgently I guess. I have liked this girl ever since I can remember, we are both 16 and have known each other for more than a decade. I like this girl a lot like a lot a lot. I told this girl I liked her and she said that she really like that we were friends, I kind of accepted that but I still really like her and feel a love for her but I don’t think she feels the same way, I don’t know how to process these feelings and I can’t get over her

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I really love her and feel a sort of heartache because I know I love her but she just sees us as close friends
Reply 2
Someone pls answer, I really need help
Reply 3
Please someone, it’s really dragging me down as I can’t stop thinking about her. This isn’t a troll btw I just really need help and answers
Explain that you can't accept only being friends and politely cut her off. She doesn't want you and you won't get over your feelings if you stay friends so cut her off, find something to occupy your mind with and wait because only time lets you move on but you have to let it.
find someone else to try and move on
Reply 6
Original post by Glimmerz
find someone else to try and move on

We are really good friends and really close, I can’t just stop it all!
Reply 7
Original post by NinjaBurger1337
Explain that you can't accept only being friends and politely cut her off. She doesn't want you and you won't get over your feelings if you stay friends so cut her off, find something to occupy your mind with and wait because only time lets you move on but you have to let it.

I can accept being friends but I just want to know how I can be friends and still have feelings for her
Original post by Anonymous
I need help, urgently I guess. I have liked this girl ever since I can remember, we are both 16 and have known each other for more than a decade. I like this girl a lot like a lot a lot. I told this girl I liked her and she said that she really like that we were friends, I kind of accepted that but I still really like her and feel a love for her but I don’t think she feels the same way, I don’t know how to process these feelings and I can’t get over her

Stop seeing her, try to find someone else. She does not like you.
I think you should talk to her about it. Even if as a result it means that you don’t have friendship anymore it’s better than a heartache. Good luck with everything. It does get better.
I can accept being friends but I just want to know how I can be friends and still have feelings for her

You can't that's the point. It'll be hell for you and you won't be able to stand it. You don't want to lose her because you love her but the only way you're not getting hurt in this situation is if you cut her off and don't try being friends.
Stop seeing her, try to find someone else. She does not like you.

But she likes me very much as a close friend
But she likes me very much as a close friend

Who cares? You want something from her she can't give you and as long as you stay friends you'll keep your feelings and it'll hurt like hell. I went through exactly this situation when I was 16, I stayed friends with the girl until I was 18 and it was so painful and destroyed my self-respect. It is so not worth it man.
Everyone else is saying you should cut her out.

From personal experience, cutting people out is generally a bad idea. In only serious circumstances, such as if somebody is manipulative and abusive, should they be cut out. I almost cut out a friend a couple years ago, but now we're great friends. If I did cut them out but somehow learnt how good friends we would have become, I would've been so upset about how much I would have lost.

I don't think cutting her out is the best option. Cutting her out will hurt her feelings, and in the long run, it will make things awkward in the future if you ever meet her again, say in future classes or something. If she likes you as a friend, she thinks you're a great person, but some people aren't ready or aren't generally interested in relationships.

Note that your parents are also friends with her parents, this just makes it a lot more awkward if you try to cut her out.

It's a shame if you love somebody and it turns out they don't like you in the same way, but this happens to pretty much everybody.

This still means they like you, but just not in the same way. And you never know, someday she could be interested in a relationship. Cutting her out completely emits this chance.
Everyone else is saying you should cut her out.

From personal experience, cutting people out is generally a bad idea. In only serious circumstances, such as if somebody is manipulative and abusive, should they be cut out. I almost cut out a friend a couple years ago, but now we're great friends. If I did cut them out but somehow learnt how good friends we would have become, I would've been so upset about how much I would have lost.

I don't think cutting her out is the best option. Cutting her out will hurt her feelings, and in the long run, it will make things awkward in the future if you ever meet her again, say in future classes or something. If she likes you as a friend, she thinks you're a great person, but some people aren't ready or aren't generally interested in relationships.

Note that your parents are also friends with her parents, this just makes it a lot more awkward if you try to cut her out.

It's a shame if you love somebody and it turns out they don't like you in the same way, but this happens to pretty much everybody.

This still means they like you, but just not in the same way. And you never know, someday she could be interested in a relationship. Cutting her out completely emits this chance.

That's terrible advice imo.

This guy is literally saying his heart is jumping out of his chest because of his love for this girl (probably the strongest he's ever felt about a girl) so what do you think happens the next time they're together and he's reminded of it or if she gets with a guy and he has to see them together (I can tell you what will happen, he will die emotionally).

Not doing something because it could be "awkward" is just stupid. The negative feelings which come from awkwardness are nothing compared to the negative feelings which come from experiencing heart break every time he is around her or she is mentioned: long and constant heart break.

The "maybe some day she'll be into you" argument is toxic. You want him to just wait and hope one day she will take him like he's a homeless puppy? Treating yourself like that kills your self-respect and will leave him in love with her waiting for that one day (which will never come) meaning he'll let life pass him whilst he could be getting into healthy two-sided relationships with girls who are actually interested in him.
Original post by David2002
Yeah, if you cut her out, you would be destroying a decade-long friendship. Friendships like those are rare.

Yeah, ok we have literally grown up alongside each other and share a lot with each other
Original post by NinjaBurger1337
That's terrible advice imo.

This guy is literally saying his heart is jumping out of his chest because of his love for this girl (probably the strongest he's ever felt about a girl) so what do you think happens the next time they're together and he's reminded of it or if she gets with a guy and he has to see them together (I can tell you what will happen, he will die emotionally).

Not doing something because it could be "awkward" is just stupid. The negative feelings which come from awkwardness are nothing compared to the negative feelings which come from experiencing heart break every time he is around her or she is mentioned: long and constant heart break.

The "maybe some day she'll be into you" argument is toxic. You want him to just wait and hope one day she will take him like he's a homeless puppy? Treating yourself like that kills your self-respect and will leave him in love with her waiting for that one day (which will never come) meaning he'll let life pass him whilst he could be getting into healthy two-sided relationships with girls who are actually interested in him.

Yeah, to be honest, I think you're right. I completely overlooked that idea. It'd be unhealthy for him to become obsessed about her and overlook other girls who are interested in him. I've probably never felt a love that strong before
Yeah, ok we have literally grown up alongside each other and share a lot with each other

We are also really intimate with each other and have spent hours together (not in a sexual way)
We are also really intimate with each other and have spent hours together (not in a sexual way)

Only more reason to cut her off, it'll hurt, I'm telling you.
Yeah, to be honest, I think you're right. I completely overlooked that idea. It'd be unhealthy for him to become obsessed about her and overlook other girls who are interested in him. I've probably never felt a love that strong before

If he handles this poorly there's hell waiting for him, I know from experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending