The Student Room Group

Main/High/Full beam is not working on my car, can I still use it for driving test UK?

My main/full/high beam (not sure what everyone calls it, but it's the lights that go on at the front in fog conditions - blue light on dashboard) light are not working in my car.
I want to use this car for a driving test. Will it be okay to use it despite this fault. Everything else about the car is fine. Not sure if examiners check lights of the car before setting off, need help
Reply 1
Original post by rickap10
My main/full/high beam (not sure what everyone calls it, but it's the lights that go on at the front in fog conditions - blue light on dashboard) light are not working in my car.
I want to use this car for a driving test. Will it be okay to use it despite this fault. Everything else about the car is fine. Not sure if examiners check lights of the car before setting off, need help

Theoretically no; it's not roadworthy.

If they check then your test will be cancelled without refund. Examiners tend to scrutinise learners own cars more than instructor cars.
If there are no warning lights on the dashboard and if you won't be driving down a dark quiet road during your test, you should be fine.

But even so, get your lights fixed. Is it just a couple of bulbs or a wiring fault?
They can be an important safety feature.

And full beams are not for driving in fog. Quite the opposite, dipped beams are better in fog.
Full beams are for unlit roads in non foggy, nor blizzard condition roads when you won't be dazzling other road users.
You could chance it, but if your examiner does make you show them that they work then you won't be able to take the test and won't be refunded. I suggest you get it sorted before you do your test.
They could ask you to show the full beams on the test and if it didn't work they'd cancel the test.
Reply 5
Original post by IWMTom
Theoretically no; it's not roadworthy.

If they check then your test will be cancelled without refund. Examiners tend to scrutinise learners own cars more than instructor cars.

AFAIK it's only unroadworthy if they're not functional at night. You can drive your car in the daytime with no headlights attached to the body at all and it's not breaking the law. In fact I don't know if there even is a law regarding high beam headlights - they're really only there for your own benefit. You're not required to use them at night, you can drive purely on your dipped beams if you so desire (or on sidelights, if you're in a streetlit area, even in the middle of the night).

But OP should get them fixed anyway because it's silly not to have them. I'm pretty sure the examiner simply asks you questions about how to do stuff or where it is. Point out the headlight switch, and explain how to switch from high to low beams for example. I've never seen one actually get out of the vehicle to check the operation of the lights. It's not their responsibility to check whether the lights work or not so they don't care.
Original post by Nuffles
AFAIK it's only unroadworthy if they're not functional at night. You can drive your car in the daytime with no headlights attached to the body at all and it's not breaking the law. In fact I don't know if there even is a law regarding high beam headlights

All cars on the road need to have a valid MOT. The issue described suggests the car will not get through an MOT. (Presumably it got through an MOT months ago?) Driving a car without it passing the latest MOT is unlawful. Not sure why the question is being asked as they need fixing anyway. Just my opinion.
Reply 7
Original post by Nuffles
AFAIK it's only unroadworthy if they're not functional at night. You can drive your car in the daytime with no headlights attached to the body at all and it's not breaking the law. In fact I don't know if there even is a law regarding high beam headlights - they're really only there for your own benefit. You're not required to use them at night, you can drive purely on your dipped beams if you so desire (or on sidelights, if you're in a streetlit area, even in the middle of the night).

But OP should get them fixed anyway because it's silly not to have them. I'm pretty sure the examiner simply asks you questions about how to do stuff or where it is. Point out the headlight switch, and explain how to switch from high to low beams for example. I've never seen one actually get out of the vehicle to check the operation of the lights. It's not their responsibility to check whether the lights work or not so they don't care.

If it would fail an MOT, it's deemed not roadworthy. The fact it's day time is not relevant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending