The Student Room Group

should i resit maths HELP!

Hi i just started year 12 and want to study psychology at university so i am taking English lit Psychology and sociology my main concern is that i got a 4 at maths in GCSE and was thinking of re siting it because i am hearing that maths is needed to do psychology in uni so i'm conflicted in whether i should resit it or not.
thank you
Original post by xxmaryama
Hi i just started year 12 and want to study psychology at university so i am taking English lit Psychology and sociology my main concern is that i got a 4 at maths in GCSE and was thinking of re siting it because i am hearing that maths is needed to do psychology in uni so i'm conflicted in whether i should resit it or not.
thank you

You will need to research lots of psychology courses and look at their GCSE requirements. If you find lots of them needing higher maths grades, it might be worth resitting but if a 4 is a good enough grade, then you maybe shouldn't resit
thank you

It might be worth resitting your maths again at higher, I may also resist gcse maths as well even though I did pass it.
Reply 3
Original post by Hazzabear
It might be worth resitting your maths again at higher, I may also resist gcse maths as well even though I did pass it.

Okay, Thank you for replying but i think i'll look into it a bit more though because i really struggle with maths and a 4 is still considered a pass so i'm not sure
(edited 4 years ago)
Okay, Thank you for replying but i think i'll look into it a bit more though because i really struggle with maths and a 4 is still considered a pass so i'm not sure

What sort of psychology are you thinking of studying?
Reply 5
Original post by Emily5243
You will need to research lots of psychology courses and look at their GCSE requirements. If you find lots of them needing higher maths grades, it might be worth resitting but if a 4 is a good enough grade, then you maybe shouldn't resit

Thank you for replying its just that i'm very confused and don't know where to actually look for these things but i will certainly do more research.
Reply 6
Original post by Hazzabear
What sort of psychology are you thinking of studying?

I am not 100% sure but i was thinking clinical or abnormal psychology.
Thank you for replying its just that i'm very confused and don't know where to actually look for these things but i will certainly do more research.

Just pick a random selection of universities you may want to go to and research their GCSE requirements. That might be a bit easier than trying to look at all unis
Reply 8
Just pick a random selection of universities you may want to go to and research their GCSE requirements. That might be a bit easier than trying to look at all unis

Thank you and hopefully i can come to a decision really soon.

Definitely have a look on the UCAS website
Reply 10
I had a quick look on the UCL website (first uni that came to mind). They want a 6 in English Lang, Maths, and 2 sciences. You should keep that in mind when deciding what to retake. Nottingham wants 5s in English Lang and Maths. Any science a-level requirement should be fulfilled by the psychology a-level.

Quick Reply

Latest