The Student Room Group

Lied to parents about ALvl results & uni offers

Hi
My parents are both professional and have great careers and have pushed high standards on me since I was small and they were happy with my GCSES (2 A* 6 As and 2 Bs) I also passed grade 8 piano in year 10

They basically dictated which A Levels I took - Maths, Physics and English Lit (and Classics at AS) and all my uni offers were A*A*A/AAA

I got ACD so lost all uni places but my parents still think I got my firm choice

I'm seriously considering to pretend to go to university and fake my way through it and get a job instead ?? It's too late to tell the truth and they will be mad and disappointing and wasted so much money on me to fail everything
Reply 1
You can't really fake your way through it. What about graduation? besides it's better to just mention it now because there's no way you'll be able to pull this off for even a semester. Of course they'll get mad but that'll only be temporary
Reply 2
The more you lie, the bigger a grave you'll dig for yourself. You already know this yourself. I know it's hard but you have to come clean, you can't hide it forever. Did you enjoy the subjects they chose for you? If you think they'll be angry or disappointed in you, you could tell them you never wanted to do them in the first place. Maybe you could do A levels for another year but this time with the subjects you want?
That’s a really difficult situation. I know on your part it’ll be really hard to tell your parents but i think this is one of those situations where you can’t lie because it’ll get bigger. What if they want to see your results at the end of the year? Or they go round telling people you’re at a specific uni studying this etc
I think now is the time to tell them you didn’t get the results and you’re going to take a gap year. If they see how upset you genuinely are about it they’ll hopefully understand the situation
Reply 4
Original post by jas149
You can't really fake your way through it. What about graduation? besides it's better to just mention it now because there's no way you'll be able to pull this off for even a semester. Of course they'll get mad but that'll only be temporary

Original post by Retten
The more you lie, the bigger a grave you'll dig for yourself. You already know this yourself. I know it's hard but you have to come clean, you can't hide it forever. Did you enjoy the subjects they chose for you? If you think they'll be angry or disappointed in you, you could tell them you never wanted to do them in the first place. Maybe you could do A levels for another year but this time with the subjects you want?

Original post by Anonymous
That’s a really difficult situation. I know on your part it’ll be really hard to tell your parents but i think this is one of those situations where you can’t lie because it’ll get bigger. What if they want to see your results at the end of the year? Or they go round telling people you’re at a specific uni studying this etc
I think now is the time to tell them you didn’t get the results and you’re going to take a gap year. If they see how upset you genuinely are about it they’ll hopefully understand the situation

Thanks guys, you are all right
But maybe i can fake it for 1 year and just resit them all and then get into uni so I would only have to lie for 1 year? My firm is really far from where we live and my parents work a lot so will never visit, I can just get a job and pay to retake A Levels in the city, a few of my friends have gotten into my firm too so I can copy what they're doing to tell my parents to make it realistic ??? Unis have open libraries right so I can go in there without student ID and take selfies etc and around the campus?

I really cannot tell them because they will be so mad, and even more made because I've lied for the past month
Thanks guys, you are all right
But maybe i can fake it for 1 year and just resit them all and then get into uni so I would only have to lie for 1 year? My firm is really far from where we live and my parents work a lot so will never visit, I can just get a job and pay to retake A Levels in the city, a few of my friends have gotten into my firm too so I can copy what they're doing to tell my parents to make it realistic ??? Unis have open libraries right so I can go in there without student ID and take selfies etc and around the campus?

I really cannot tell them because they will be so mad, and even more made because I've lied for the past month

Just tell them - they are your parents , they love you & will want to help & support you. They may be shocked & disappointed but they will get over it. Honestly, this really feels like the biggest thing in the world right now to you - but in the big picture of life it’s a bump in the road.
Find a way to tell them as soon as you can - it will be all ok, trust me , it really will be fine.
Maybe tell them with a friend or teacher or other family member. Maybe write them a letter and sit with them as they read it - find a way to tell them and then you’ll feel so much better
Good luck
Hi
My parents are both professional and have great careers and have pushed high standards on me since I was small and they were happy with my GCSES (2 A* 6 As and 2 Bs) I also passed grade 8 piano in year 10

They basically dictated which A Levels I took - Maths, Physics and English Lit (and Classics at AS) and all my uni offers were A*A*A/AAA

I got ACD so lost all uni places but my parents still think I got my firm choice

I'm seriously considering to pretend to go to university and fake my way through it and get a job instead ?? It's too late to tell the truth and they will be mad and disappointing and wasted so much money on me to fail everything

Please don’t live a double life. It’s going to end up in you killing your parents.
Please tell you parents they are there to love you and support you and help u out.

If you're gonna lie to them please don't.

I was in a similar situation to u a couple of weeks ago on alevel results day this year and i missed all my choices.

I told my parents and yes they were mad for a little while then they supported me and we found another route to uni and we're all much happier now without lieing to each other.

Trust me, unless ur sure you know what you have to do this year for uni next year, don't lie.

But good luck with everything we all will be in some situations similar to this in our lives. We have to embrace it together and move on and find a solution.

:smile::smile:
Btw i talked to my teachers at school and they helped me out!!
What were you going to study? where?

Were your parents going to pay for accomodation?

If you are going to fake it at all best to “go” for 2 weeks then say you’ve jacked it in.

You still have time to get a place through clearing, so you could still go to uni this year?
Hi

So when they offer to drive you there .... haven;t they wondered why you aren't getting things ready?

Either take a clearing place or tell them.
II would say tell them but I'm in the same situation as you and don't want to tell my parents I failed either

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending