dee002xx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I'm applying for law and i need major help with how to start the statement and structure it!!!! I've started it but i feel like its absolute waffle and i need help please!! I'm predicted all As and i really want to get into Kings or Queen Mary's
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by dee002xx)
I'm applying for law and i need major help with how to start the statement and structure it!!!! I've started it but i feel like its absolute waffle and i need help please!! I'm predicted all As and i really want to get into Kings or Queen Mary's
TSR do offer support for students writing personal statements, you may like to start by following this link

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wik...statement_help
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Also, this is some advice from uni admissions staff

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/con...ff-want-to-see
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Why the course
Why you (i.e. what you've done beyond grades to make yourself a good candidate)

I'm very sceptical of using TSR gimps as sources of advice for the personal statement
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I did like the comment from one uni that applicants should "avoid the common trap of thinking that law comprises two areas only: crime and human rights" because those do seem to be the two areas that people mention over and over again on TSR, so I imagine reading about them on hundreds of personal statements does get boring.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
I did like the comment from one uni that applicants should "avoid the common trap of thinking that law comprises two areas only: crime and human rights" because those do seem to be the two areas that people mention over and over again on TSR, so I imagine reading about them on hundreds of personal statements does get boring.
I think reading PSs of precocious and usually not very bright applicants is invariably a dull affair. No wonder Bristol law does not look at PSs no more.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
Why the course
Why you (i.e. what you've done beyond grades to make yourself a good candidate)

I'm very sceptical of using TSR gimps as sources of advice for the personal statement
Yeah, not many law grads on the team as it seems. Raises the question of who is giving advice and why should it be useful to applicants, who are trying to gain access to the elite courses.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
I think reading PSs of precocious and usually not very bright applicants is invariably a dull affair. No wonder Bristol law does not look at PSs no more.
I wonder if more and more unis will start to move away from them until they eventually need to state "we do read personal statements" on certain courses, in the same way that they state whether they require the LNAT.
LostLioness
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Do you know why?
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by LostLioness)
Do you know why?
Apparently it was after one of their Admissions team fell into a boredom induced coma after reading one too many?
LostLioness
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Apparently it was after one of their Admissions team fell into a boredom induced coma after reading one too many?
Shame. Mine would never do that. Good thing I am not thinking of Bristol. Reading is where it is at.
username4889668
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Fair enough, I thought mine was sick cause I talked about random ass cases and I read it the other day and died cause it was so cringeworthy
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Shame. Mine would never do that. Good thing I am not thinking of Bristol. Reading is where it is at.
What about Exetah???
LostLioness
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
But seriously, it doesn't make sense at all! I wonder why they have decided to no longer take PSs into consideration.
LostLioness
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
What about Exetah???
No; have you seen my grades? Too good for Exetah. Reading it is then.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
returnmigrant I believe said they were no longer viewed as useful. Statements often prepared mainly or wholly by teachers rather than the applicant themselves.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
No; have you seen my grades? Too good for Exetah. Reading it is then.
This sass reminds me of Jamie

f
LostLioness
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Aaryra)
Fair enough, I thought mine was sick cause I talked about random ass cases and I read it the other day and died cause it was so cringeworthy
I was reading my Geography PS I wrote last year the other day and I almost died. It was so OTT. I somehow managed to sound like someone whose entire life depended on studying Geogrpahy at University. I am too good at faking interest.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
This sass reminds me of Jamie

f
I won't say RIP because I'm still hoping she'll be back soon
LostLioness
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I won't say RIP because I'm still hoping she'll be back soon
Why did she leave anyways? No doubt sick of people who think rudeness is a personality trait. Oops I said too much.
Last edited by LostLioness; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (364)
67.03%
No (179)
32.97%

Watched Threads