Resit maths gcse with an HE course. Watch

Qasim-naveed
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have just finished my mechanical engineering NVQ level 2 this year. The only problem I have is that my college won’t enroll me on for the level 3 course as I haven’t received a grade C in maths, also I have reached the age of 19 so I’m not Eligible to get any funding for my
Course. I then found out about HE course in engineering which can help you study at level 3, but the only issue I have is would they allow me to do the course and resit my maths gcse, they have asked that you should be working towards a level 2 functional skill in maths but I haven’t done any functional skills. I would like to know can I still do the course and resit my maths if I haven’t done a functional skill level 2 as I really want to go university and study Engineering next year.
I was also told that for the HE course you will have to do an assessment, I’m not too worried about my English as I have achieved my grade C but I’m freaking out about my maths it’s been some time since I have done maths. Would really help if I know what topics will most likely come up.
Last edited by Qasim-naveed; 1 week ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Qasim-naveed)
I have just finished my mechanical engineering NVQ level 2 this year. The only problem I have is that my college won’t enroll me on for the level 3 course as I haven’t received a grade C in maths, also I have reached the age of 19 so I’m not Eligible to get any funding for my
Course. I then found out about HE course in engineering which can help you study at level 3, but the only issue I have is would they allow me to do the course and resit my maths gcse, they have asked that you should be working towards a level 2 functional skill in maths but I haven’t done any functional skills. I would like to know can I still do the course and resit my maths if I haven’t done a functional skill level 2 as I really want to go university and study Engineering next year.
If you cant handle Maths then you are going to have issues with engineering.
Level 2 FS Maths is accepted by some unis as equivalent to a grade C in Maths.
It will cover many of the same subjects as GCSE, but fewer. It should be easier and you should also be able to manage GCSE Maths for a higher grade.

When you become 19 you have to pay for education but there are advanced learner loans.
The Maths and FS should be free.

https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan

If you are doing an access course then you need to make sure you are ready. Be warned they will only fund you once in most cases. NVQ is different from an academic exam. Talk to tutor. Maybe NVQ level 3 might be better than Access?
Qasim-naveed
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
If you cant handle Maths then you are going to have issues with engineering.
Level 2 FS Maths is accepted by some unis as equivalent to a grade C in Maths.
It will cover many of the same subjects as GCSE, but fewer. It should be easier and you should also be able to manage GCSE Maths for a higher grade.

When you become 19 you have to pay for education but there are advanced learner loans.
The Maths and FS should be free.

https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan

If you are doing an access course then you need to make sure you are ready. Be warned they will only fund you once in most cases. NVQ is different from an academic exam. Talk to tutor. Maybe NVQ level 3 might be better than Access?
I know I am capable of getting a good grade but due to some personal reason I wasn’t able to resit the exam.I was only a few marks of achieving level 2 in maths, what’s the difference between NVQ L3 compared to an access, as I really want to start university next year. I was also told that if it’s your 1st level 3 you won’t have to pay any fees.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Qasim-naveed)
I know I am capable of getting a good grade but due to some personal reason I wasn’t able to resit the exam.I was only a few marks of achieving level 2 in maths, what’s the difference between NVQ L3 compared to an access, as I really want to start university next year. I was also told that if it’s your 1st level 3 you won’t have to pay any fees.
NVQ is more vocational based. Access is more like traditional studying so more academic based on theories and essays. If you are intending to go to uni then you need to follow the academic route via either A levels Access or BTEC.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (204)
23.5%
Pop (214)
24.65%
Jazz (33)