Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Looking to buy a laptop for uni but I’m not sure what to look for. I’m not really interested in anything pricey like a MacBook but any suggestions?

Thank you

Btw Studying anthropology if that helps x
Hm4600
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
if you need something just for browsing, watching youtube/netflix, going on socials and typing essays then I would recommend a chromebook.Whilst I was at college i used a HP chromebook 14 and it was fine for me.Also chromebooks have decent battery life lasting up to 10 hours, also they're not too expensive.
turkeydinosaurs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Hm4600)
if you need something just for browsing, watching youtube/netflix, going on socials and typing essays then I would recommend a chromebook.Whilst I was at college i used a HP chromebook 14 and it was fine for me.Also chromebooks have decent battery life lasting up to 10 hours, also they're not too expensive.
Sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree strongly with this one. I don't consider Chromebooks to be good computers, you're borked from the start by the operating system if you don't swap it out for some Linux distro, it's a very restrictive environment that doesn't give you much control over the computer or the software on it. Plus the majority of them are super underspecced as you're expected to do everything in the "Cloud". I'd recommend the Dell XPS line or the Lenovo Thinkpads, or some of the older Apple stuff before they ruined the keyboard. If budget is a priority, I'd buy a used old Windows/Mac/Linux machine any day over a new shiny Chromebook.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Hm4600)
(Original post by turkeydinosaurs)
Sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree strongly with this one. I don't consider Chromebooks to be good computers, you're borked from the start by the operating system if you don't swap it out for some Linux distro, it's a very restrictive environment that doesn't give you much control over the computer or the software on it. Plus the majority of them are super underspecced as you're expected to do everything in the "Cloud". I'd recommend the Dell XPS line or the Lenovo Thinkpads, or some of the older Apple stuff before they ruined the keyboard. If budget is a priority, I'd buy a used old Windows/Mac/Linux machine any day over a new shiny Chromebook.
I will definitely have a look. Thank you both for your suggestions! x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?