what kind of stuff do you learn in a level psychology?

Watch
Azimbrook1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I do AQA and ive seen the spec, so far it seems interesting. But is psychology more about memorising random facts,research and statistics (eg 40% of people.......) or is more about learing ideas and theories (eg. different types of conformity).I love the ideas on psychology but i hate learing random statistics/names.
Alaska215
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So I did: Memory, social influence, relationships, schizophrenia, criminology, research methods, psychopathology and bio psychology : it was so interesting (apart from RM) I really recommend taking it!
Alaska215
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It’s very much theory based, nearly all the questions are about theories but they can be pretty easy to learn if you just tie the theories to the information and learn it together
Alaska215
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A lot of the evaluation points include learning random facts and statistics (12/16) mark questions but generally all you need are the theories and some knowledge on the topics (not necessarily statistics)
Phoenixfeather99
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Azimbrook1)
I do AQA and ive seen the spec, so far it seems interesting. But is psychology more about memorising random facts,research and statistics (eg 40% of people.......) or is more about learing ideas and theories (eg. different types of conformity).I love the ideas on psychology but i hate learing random statistics/names.
It’s very theory based, and the “random” statistics will make a lot of sense as you go through the course as they are your evaluation points (10 of your marks in a 16marker). The statistics are pointless without the theory, and the theory pointless without the evidence (statistics). All will become clear over the first few weeks. Good luck!
Azimbrook1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alaska215)
It’s very much theory based, nearly all the questions are about theories but they can be pretty easy to learn if you just tie the theories to the information and learn it together
Name:  Screenshot_20190906-012019_Chrome-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 51
Size:  87.0 KB

I'm asking because someone once said biology is about understanding processes whereas psychology is about memorizing facts and statistics. Do you think this is true,
Alaska215
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would say memorising facts and statistics in psychology is true (I found this extremely hard as I had one researcher for each evaluation point) however, I put all researchers up on post it notes around my house which made it easier to learn them and I use theories as evaluation points so all in all it depends how you prefer to learn.

Overall, psychology was my favourite A level I’ve learnt things that I can actually apply to real life and that have helped me understand myself and other people (I’m now really good at psychoanalysing other people) !
Azimbrook1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alaska215)
I would say memorising facts and statistics in psychology is true (I found this extremely hard as I had one researcher for each evaluation point) however, I put all researchers up on post it notes around my house which made it easier to learn them and I use theories as evaluation points so all in all it depends how you prefer to learn.

Overall, psychology was my favourite A level I’ve learnt things that I can actually apply to real life and that have helped me understand myself and other people (I’m now really good at psychoanalysing other people) !
What other subjects did you do?
Alaska215
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Azimbrook1)
What other subjects did you do?
I did Business and English Literature
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (96)
58.18%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (18)
10.91%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (21)
12.73%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (12)
7.27%
I haven't started researching yet (9)
5.45%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
5.45%

Watched Threads