The Student Room Group

Physics // I need serious help here

i do aqa
and like im actually so lost in physics like no joke
like i get 8s and 9s in biology and chemistry but physics, oh lawd
I need some advice and all of the physics teachers are just so bad and unorganised and each just gets worse and worse.
I usually use freesciencelessons to write notes with my revision guide but physics just does not make sense. Is it because I need to revise more or do more past paper questions, I have no idea but I am willing to put the effort.
Original post by PinkBoy
i do aqa
and like im actually so lost in physics like no joke
like i get 8s and 9s in biology and chemistry but physics, oh lawd
I need some advice and all of the physics teachers are just so bad and unorganised and each just gets worse and worse.
I usually use freesciencelessons to write notes with my revision guide but physics just does not make sense. Is it because I need to revise more or do more past paper questions, I have no idea but I am willing to put the effort.

The two big ways that I revised for physics GCSE were:
1) learn the equations - I know everybody says it but it’s seriously so important in the exams. Something like 30% of the marks are awarded based on those 20 or so equations so make sure you know them and how to use and rearrange them.
2) making notes - print off a copy of the specification and buy a cgp revision guide, then make really concise and short notes on what the spec says (use the revision guide to help you understand stuff and answer them ‘students should be able to’ bits, but don’t make notes on stuff that isn’t in the spec. Free science lessons is really useful for topics that you don’t understand, but, to be honest, I didn’t find any other use from it apart from that. Then, learn your notes like the back of your hand. This certainly isn’t very fun, but being able to put down the exact language used in the specification is seriously so important in physics. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by FrankSmith2002
The two big ways that I revised for physics GCSE were:
1) learn the equations - I know everybody says it but it’s seriously so important in the exams. Something like 30% of the marks are awarded based on those 20 or so equations so make sure you know them and how to use and rearrange them.
2) making notes - print off a copy of the specification and buy a cgp revision guide, then make really concise and short notes on what the spec says (use the revision guide to help you understand stuff and answer them ‘students should be able to’ bits, but don’t make notes on stuff that isn’t in the spec. Free science lessons is really useful for topics that you don’t understand, but, to be honest, I didn’t find any other use from it apart from that. Then, learn your notes like the back of your hand. This certainly isn’t very fun, but being able to put down the exact language used in the specification is seriously so important in physics. Good luck!

thanks very much
Reply 3
My recommendation for learning the equations is to get an equation sheet, and write down the formula for every single question that requires it. Every single time. Yes you will get sick to death of writing E = Pt and P = I2R a hundred times but you'll have at least memorised them.

Don't just write notes - use them as reference for when you're attempting practice questions. Your grade is dependent on answering the questions in the exams, so practice those. Mark your own work, and make sure you know why you get questions wrong - is it that you haven't memorised things, are you making mistakes in your calculations, are you not including relevant info, stuff like that. You can't improve until you know what to improve on.
i would recommend watching sciencewithhazel on youtube she goes through different exam boards and she also does physics practice questions in the video too! (i used her around exam season when i didn't have much time to go thought the textbook again and again but still wanted to refresh my memory)
Literally all I did was read through the work booklets you use in class (learn equations and other methods on the way), retry the questions in the booklets without looking at my old workings. Then attempt past papers. - That is what I did for GCSE (not sure if you're in A level or GCSE though)

If you have trouble learning the actual equations, then the old method we used to do for spelling words works like a charm - look, cover check.
But if you struggle with the questions, just keep practicing and checking answers, ask teachers for help/other students.
Or if it's just the concept, again the work booklet that you use in class should be sufficient, although your exam board should sell revisions books and that would be another great way as it should contain spet by step workings for answering typical maths questions - luckily my teacher had a spare book and he gave it to me :smile: (Or just search it on youtube/google)

Good Luck
Reply 6
thank you !! I appreciate it

Quick Reply

Latest