Bucky_barnes
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
when I finish school I'm aiming for a career in special effects makeup - I've been trying to promote my work on Instagram for a few years now but I hardly get recognised! I can't get about 300 followers and it's been like this for a year! I'm also considering other social media platforms? I had a slight thought to make a Tik tok 😂 any ideas what I can do?
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Bucky_barnes)
when I finish school I'm aiming for a career in special effects makeup - I've been trying to promote my work on Instagram for a few years now but I hardly get recognised! I can't get about 300 followers and it's been like this for a year! I'm also considering other social media platforms? I had a slight thought to make a Tik tok 😂 any ideas what I can do?
Have you done any side jobs or volunteering with your special effects make up? You can link these (if you have the permission) to your Instagram (and vice versa, if they are willing) to showcase the real life work you have done. Also, you can ask friends and family to follow you to boost your numbers.
markova21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Just had a quick Google of How to become a special effects makeup artist UK , and it brought up Direct Line for Business. https://www.directlineforbusiness.co...-makeup-artist. It has an interview with a college lecturer who teaches on a course to try and get people into the industry. Hope the link works.
markova21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm assuming there must be other colleges, perhaps near to you, who offer the same sort of training. To actually work in the industry, as opposed to being a makeup artist for brides on their wedding day, perhaps you would need a degree, I don't know. Let me check.
markova21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
OK. A place called the London College of Fashion offer a BA( Hons) in Hair,Makeup and Prosthetics for Performance that seems to be good. Be very careful. From the quick search I did there seem to be lots of companies offering "courses" for thousands, that may not amount to much at all. There's a place that came up called the London School of Media Makeup. I might be completely wrong but it rings a few alarm bells for me. The part about "portfolio week". That each student will graduate with their own makeup portfolio. Nothing wrong with that you say. Except that it appears each photograph will be shot by the same photographer. Models, actors, dancers, singers, and whoever else needs a portfolio never, ever has a whole load of photos of themselves or their work all shot by the same photographer. You usually have about seven or eight photographs all taken by seven or eight completely different photographers. Why? Because each photographer will have his or her own unique way of photographing someone or something. If a "portfolio" is all done by the same photographer, no matter how different each individual photo might be, they will all have a certain "sameness" to them. Anyone who is a professional in the entertainment industry knows this. Sadly, there are tens of thousands of often young, gullible wanna be actors, models, dancers, makeup artists who hear the word "portfolio" and think this one individual, who will often be asking for hundreds or thousands of pounds, is going to give them their passport into finding work. It doesn't work like that. I hope I have been of some help to you and if there is anything else I can advise you on then feel free to ask. ( I trained in Classical Ballet for eight and a half years and was a professional dancer at the Moulin Rouge,Paris, plus then danced all over the world/did TV work/promotions etc.) Lisa.x
Last edited by markova21; 2 weeks ago
Bucky_barnes
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by markova21)
OK. A place called the London College of Fashion offer a BA( Hons) in Hair,Makeup and Prosthetics for Performance that seems to be good. Be very careful. From the quick search I did there seem to be lots of companies offering "courses" for thousands, that may not amount to much at all. There's a place that came up called the London School of Media Makeup. I might be completely wrong but it rings a few alarm bells for me. The part about "portfolio week". That each student will graduate with their own makeup portfolio. Nothing wrong with that you say. Except that it appears each photograph will be shot by the same photographer. Models, actors, dancers, singers, and whoever else needs a portfolio never, ever has a whole load of photos of themselves or their work all shot by the same photographer. You usually have about seven or eight photographs all taken by seven or eight completely different photographers. Why? Because each photographer will have his or her own unique way of photographing someone or something. If a "portfolio" is all done by the same photographer, no matter how different each individual photo might be, they will all have a certain "sameness" to them. Anyone who is a professional in the entertainment industry knows this. Sadly, there are tens of thousands of often young, gullible wanna be actors, models, dancers, makeup artists who hear the word "portfolio" and think this one individual, who will often be asking for hundreds or thousands of pounds, is going to give them their passport into finding work. It doesn't work like that. I hope I have been of some help to you and if there is anything else I can advise you on then feel free to ask. ( I trained in Classical Ballet for eight and a half years and was a professional dancer at the Moulin Rouge,Paris, plus then danced all over the world/did TV work/promotions etc.) Lisa.x
thank you so much!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (2)
10%
Disagree (2)
10%
Neither agree or disagree (6)
30%
Agree (6)
30%
Strongly Agree (4)
20%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise