Applying for medicine at Newcastle/Southampton with a low UCAT score

Watch
theodora101
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am a year 13 student applying for medicine at uni for 2020 entry. I just did my UCAT (previously UKCAT) exam over the summer and got really bad exam nerves and ended up with a sub par score of 2640. I really want to go to Newcastle/ Southampton but I don’t think my UCAT score is high enough. I have extremely strong predicted grades and GCSEs, as well as a lot of work experience and extra curricular things to say. (I am predicted 3 A*s at A level and got all 9s at GCSEs). Is it worth applying to Newcastle or is my UCAT score just too low. Will they take into account my grades?
Sososnake
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by theodora101)
I am a year 13 student applying for medicine at uni for 2020 entry. I just did my UCAT (previously UKCAT) exam over the summer and got really bad exam nerves and ended up with a sub par score of 2640. I really want to go to Newcastle/ Southampton but I don’t think my UCAT score is high enough. I have extremely strong predicted grades and GCSEs, as well as a lot of work experience and extra curricular things to say. (I am predicted 3 A*s at A level and got all 9s at GCSEs). Is it worth applying to Newcastle or is my UCAT score just too low. Will they take into account my grades?
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/wwwnclac...ers%202019.pdf These are the official ucat cutoffs for Newcastle in previous years
theodora101
Rep:
?
so if the threshold was 2720 last year I don’t stand a chance?
Sososnake
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
so if the threshold was 2720 last year I don’t stand a chance?
I think it would be risky. Also with straight 9’s at GCSE and 3A* predictions you would be able to apply to safer options like Birmingham, Cardiff and Leeds if you do the bmat
DGeorge13
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Newcastle check academics to see you have met the minimum and then don’t care about them beyond that and solely rank by using UCAT so your grades wouldn’t make up for it. As Sososnake said there are many other options in a similar sort of style to Newcastle that use grades more so your UCAT would be fine
theodora101
Rep:
?
(Original post by DGeorge13)
Newcastle check academics to see you have met the minimum and then don’t care about them beyond that and solely rank by using UCAT so your grades wouldn’t make up for it. As Sososnake said there are many other options in a similar sort of style to Newcastle that use grades more so your UCAT would be fine
What about Exeter? Their website says 'Applicants will be tiered according to their predicted or achieved A level or equivalent qualifications. The UCAT score will be used to determine who, within a particular tier, will be invited to attend an interview', so as I have a low UCAT score but high grades, does this mean I will be put into a high tier, but then not selected because of my low score?
DGeorge13
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What about Exeter? Their website says 'Applicants will be tiered according to their predicted or achieved A level or equivalent qualifications. The UCAT score will be used to determine who, within a particular tier, will be invited to attend an interview', so as I have a low UCAT score but high grades, does this mean I will be put into a high tier, but then not selected because of my low score?
You would have been fine the last two years
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (891)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (394)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise