The Student Room Group

Accepted for a Masters?

I hope this is the right forum but here we go.

So basically I applied to a masters degree at my (ex?) University on a whim. I didn't think I had the grades to do it, and while I wanted to do a masters eventually I had no plans to do it immediately due to my lack of experience. I applied anyway though at the encouragement of others and I found out today I've been given an unconditional offer for the masters degree.

I'm honestly astounded and shocked and I don't know how to feel about it. I've had people warn me about going straight into postgrad study from undergrad (I graduated two months ago), and I wasn't exactly planning on this, but I've been given the offer and I don't want to refuse it. I could possibly defer for a year but I don't know if its worth deferring - I doubt I'm going to get a job in that time, and I don't know if I'll be able to handle a job and a full-time masters.

For clarification, I'm studying Games Art, the same topic I studied for undergrad but obviously there are differences between the two. On top of all this, there's currently a lot of bad stuff happening for my family and I worry that going back to university I won't be able to help them (I'm not going to disclose everything, but I will mention that there's been a lot of unrest this year, and just a few weeks ago my father was diagnosed with cancer and will be starting radiotherapy soon). I also really want to get my drivers license which will... also be difficult. And I'm wracking up more student debt by doing the masters.

I'm just not sure. Any advice would be helpful ❤️💕
Original post by spaceyartist

So basically I applied to a masters degree at my (ex?) University on a whim. I didn't think I had the grades to do it, and while I wanted to do a masters eventually I had no plans to do it immediately due to my lack of experience. I applied anyway though at the encouragement of others and I found out today I've been given an unconditional offer for the masters degree.

I'm honestly astounded and shocked and I don't know how to feel about it. I've had people warn me about going straight into postgrad study from undergrad (I graduated two months ago), and I wasn't exactly planning on this, but I've been given the offer and I don't want to refuse it. I could possibly defer for a year but I don't know if its worth deferring - I doubt I'm going to get a job in that time, and I don't know if I'll be able to handle a job and a full-time masters.

For clarification, I'm studying Games Art, the same topic I studied for undergrad but obviously there are differences between the two. On top of all this, there's currently a lot of bad stuff happening for my family and I worry that going back to university I won't be able to help them (I'm not going to disclose everything, but I will mention that there's been a lot of unrest this year, and just a few weeks ago my father was diagnosed with cancer and will be starting radiotherapy soon). I also really want to get my drivers license which will... also be difficult. And I'm wracking up more student debt by doing the masters.

Only you can work this out. What do you hope to get out of this masters course? What are your plans if you don't do this? If this doesn't work with your current family situation then the answer is quite simply no to the masters course.
Original post by spaceyartist

What exactly is it you're asking? Whether you should do the MA?

Well that's solely up to you. I personally don't think you should put your life on hold because of the events surrounding your life. You shouldn't be burdened like that.

I just finished my MA and I worked part-time. It wasn't hard. It was tiring though. At the same time, I was also learning to drive and got my licence in November. So I was busy! But I like being busy, and being stressed is something I hate, but I perform better under stressful circumstances.

That being said, you can't refuse this opportunity on a whim of how your life may play out or not. If you wish to do the course, go for it. You've got nothing to lose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending