The Student Room Group

The 2020 Solicitor qualifying revolution

How is the Solicitor qualification being changed in 2020 as compared to the current procedure. I am an Indian Lawyer with LLB who wants to become a solicitor in UK. How do I qualify for that? I have learned that GDL-LPC-TC is the quintessential procedure to go through!? Or is there a middle way to save some years and money? Your opinions and suggestions would mean a great deal!
I think it has been put back to 2021 although originally was going to change in 2020.
You need to decide if the old or new system is better for you and if the old/eixisting system then get started on that in which case you can continue with the existing system. If you think SQE is better then wait until that comes in. I don't know if your Indian LLB counts over here so you would probably need to take advice on that issue for a start as you need to know English law to pass the UK SQE which Kaplan will be exclusively setting and marking the exams for.

The gist of the new system is pretty similar to the old really - you do a law degree or conversion course and pass SQE1 (so I suspect some people will do the GDL course with say BPP who have a new GDL starting in Sept 2020 which ends after 8 months, then you probably go off and do an SQE course for a new months and sit SQE1. Then you need to study for SQE2 so might do something like the LPC for that and you need 2 years of qualifying experience so so far pretty similar to current system although we don't know yet if more people will fail the SQE exams than currently pass the existing exams and we don't know what routes law firms will prefer for people they hire.

I am not an expert on this at all however so hopefully you will get some better views soon. your first task is working out if the old or new system is better because you are still in with a chance to follow the old route if you think that is better but if you delay too much that may be too late...
[Pause- I just looked something up for you - it looks like foreign LLBs are not automatically recognised in the UK system but you may be able to get a certificate of academic standing to avoid doing the GDL (under the current system). Presumably lots of people from India will have looked at this before and might be able to say what usually happens - if it is possible to get this cert or not. If not then I assume you have to do the GDL or studies sufficient to pass the SQE1. Then another course to take the SQE2, I think SQE1 and 2 might each cost £4k but most people will also do a course with a UK institution as well - if you are very good and academically able a London law firm will pay all the costs and a residence allowance sometimes even £10,000 a year whilst you do these courses but you would have to be very good
https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/qualifying-from-overseas

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending