Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I got diagnosed with hiv in december, and i started treatment in january. Im currently undetectable but my mental health has slipped into a downward spiral. I dont feel comfortable telling anyone, and on my days off i think about how ashamed and embarrassed I am that i let myself become infected. I feel so disgusting and dirty, and doubt anyone will wanna date me with my status. I hate that i have to hide it from everyone, and taking my meds at the same time each day can be a real struggle. I dont see there ever being a cure for this, as there still isnt one 30 years later. I feel angry at myself for allowing myself to become infected, and i know i only have myself to blame.
Last edited by Interrobang; 1 week ago
Seris
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Have you tried talking to someone? Like family members?
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I got diagnosed with hiv in december, and i started treatment in january. Im currently undetectable but my mental health has slipped into a downward spiral. I dont feel comfortable telling anyone, and on my days off i think about how ashamed and embarrassed I am that i let myself become infected. I feel so disgusting and dirty, and doubt anyone will wanna date me with my status. I hate that i have to hide it from everyone, and taking my meds at the same time each day can be a real struggle. I dont see there ever being a cure for this, as there still isnt one 30 years later. I feel angry at myself for allowing myself to become infected, and i know i only have myself to blame.
I'm so sorry you feel this way. Please don't blame yourself. Some people have HIV from birth, others contract it through non-sexual ways, others can be very careful during sex and still contract it. The good news is you're taking medication and it's undetectable. This means you can still have good relationships, a good life, intimacy, a family if you want it.

Please don't feel like you have to hide it. HIV knowledge is becoming more widespread and plenty of people know that if you take the meds you're basically totally healthy and happy. It's not something to be ashamed of.

I think you should speak to your GP about getting some help for your mental health. You can speak to people who can help you enormously. I also recommend the Samaritans or, if you feel like you may hurt yourself, please call 999. You aren't alone, you aren't to blame, and you have so much potential in your life.
Last edited by Interrobang; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (190)
24.05%
Pop (192)
24.3%