Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I remember visiting my student accommodation 2 weeks ago and noticed that they used circuit laundry, which apparently every uni does. The accom people made it seem pretty good, you could pre-book it, top up, it was expensive but I thought ok fine that's not too bad. However, I went to download the app and it has awful ratings, and then I searched it up and it seems to have an even worse reputation amongst uni students. So the question is, as someone who washes their clothing regularly and saving it till I can take it home is too impractical, what can I do in-between my home visits? Because there's no way I'm using and wasting my money on their services.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I remember visiting my student accommodation 2 weeks ago and noticed that they used circuit laundry, which apparently every uni does. The accom people made it seem pretty good, you could pre-book it, top up, it was expensive but I thought ok fine that's not too bad. However, I went to download the app and it has awful ratings, and then I searched it up and it seems to have an even worse reputation amongst uni students. So the question is, as someone who washes their clothing regularly and saving it till I can take it home is too impractical, what can I do in-between my home visits? Because there's no way I'm using and wasting my money on their services.
I personally didn't like using Circuit. It can be pretty bad, but the machines are quite big. I just held off doing laundry until I had a load large enough for the machine (about 2 weeks worth of clothes) to minimise the cost. I also washed my bedding together with my towels to save a load. I also air dried my clothes because the machines are pretty poor.

You can go to a laundrette but I imagine it'll be more expensive, or you can handwash your clothes.
Kinyonga
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Wash items you need by hand in the washbasin or shower (use proper powder though, not soap), or, as above said, see if there's a laundrette that's any better than what the university offers.
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Unfortunately it's unlikely you could save money using a high street coin-op laundrette (if you can find one close by these days)... they would want around £4 per wash plus £1 for 10 minutes in the dryer... but you'd probably have some attendant on hand to help you out or refund you if the machines break down.

Circuit seems like a typical 21st century outsourcing business - employ a tiny number of people to provide a service as rotten as it can possibly get away with...
I can see why they'd want to sell you credit in £5 blocks that don't correspond to the charges for using their machines and keep hold of your change when you leave... but I'm not sure why they're allowed to do that.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
I personally didn't like using Circuit. It can be pretty bad, but the machines are quite big. I just held off doing laundry until I had a load large enough for the machine (about 2 weeks worth of clothes) to minimise the cost. I also washed my bedding together with my towels to save a load. I also air dried my clothes because the machines are pretty poor.

You can go to a laundrette but I imagine it'll be more expensive, or you can handwash your clothes.
This. I would save up my laundry so I only had to do it every two weeks.

The app reviews are bad because it relies on 3G/WiFi which might be temperamental where you're staying. My laundry room was in the converted wine cellar of my building, so had zero phone signal, let alone internet access. We all had to get the Circuit top-up cards instead.

My biggest problem with the Circuit machines was that they were never cleaned or serviced, so by April time they reeked of damp (and therefore made your clothes smell too if the wash wasn't hot enough).
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
The circuit app isnt great but it is functional, it does work. You just scan a QR code on every machine and it deals with a debit style payment, and syncs to paypal (which I like).

The cost of laundry is more annoying than anything else, I use a clothes horse to cut down the cost of using the dryer.

It will be fine, it takes a few minutes to figure out the first time you use it but once youve done that its ok, and it has a timer function so you can track when a load is done.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?