irishninja
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So basically I'm really worried cause since the ucas clearing i have been considering studying renewable energy which I applied to a related subject as my insurance choice last year.

I have completed year one of an applied maths and physics degree and if I return will be starting year 2 of BSc physics

But I'm worried incase I'm making the wrong decision even though I know I'll love the physics especially the astrophysics module.
Plus physics would give me way more options in terms of employment paths.

Alternatively I could do a masters in renewable enrgy once I (hopefully) graduate.

I need to decide today cause my accomodation said I need to let them know if I want the room by today or they'll hold me liable for fees.

Any thoughts?
replyplzbish
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by irishninja)
So basically I'm really worried cause since the ucas clearing i have been considering studying renewable energy which I applied to a related subject as my insurance choice last year.

I have completed year one of an applied maths and physics degree and if I return will be starting year 2 of BSc physics

But I'm worried incase I'm making the wrong decision even though I know I'll love the physics especially the astrophysics module.

Alternatively I could do a masters in renewable enrgy once I (hopefully) graduate.

I need to decide today cause my accomodation said I need to let them know if I want the room by today or they'll hold me liable for fees.

Any thoughts?
So sorry just to clarify- you should be starting 2nd year physics. but you might take a gap year to apply for renewable energy from 1st year?

I would say if you are not sure suspend your studies (don't drop out yet) and take a year out to work and think about which one you would rather do.
replyplzbish
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Any thoughts?
if you switch course now luckily you will still get funding for the rest of the course
irishninja
Rep:
?
(Original post by replyplzbish)
So sorry just to clarify- you should be starting 2nd year physics. but you might take a gap year to apply for renewable energy from 1st year?

I would say if you are not sure suspend your studies (don't drop out yet) and take a year out to work and think about which one you would rather do.
Correct

It's such a tough decision because I'm really worried I wont be able to find work if I take a year out as I haven't been successful this far and it takes a while to build up your CV.

Also the university in N.Ireland that offers renewable energy courses I kinda dont want to go to.

If I go back this year I will be able to get more involved in the societies which I didnt do as much last year.
I'm studying in Belfast which is a place I really love.

I'm really worried about committing myself to one career but also feel that I want direction for my career prospects.
irishninja
Rep:
?
if you switch course now luckily you will still get funding for the rest of the course
You see I dont want to jump straight into a course I'm not sure of just yet but I also dont want to waste a year of my life doing nothing useful
replyplzbish
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Correct

It's such a tough decision because I'm really worried I wont be able to find work if I take a year out as I haven't been successful this far and it takes a while to build up your CV.

Also the university in N.Ireland that offers renewable energy courses I kinda dont want to go to.

If I go back this year I will be able to get more involved in the societies which I didnt do as much last year.
I'm studying in Belfast which is a place I really love.

I'm really worried about committing myself to one career but also feel that I want direction for my career prospects.
It would be a lot worse though if you got to the end of 2nd year physics and still wish you'd swapped course. You wouldn't get all the funding. What kind of jobs are you looking for? Useful ones?

I know sainsburys pay £9.20 so all is not lost even if you can't find a 'proper' job. Would you be interested in travelling or anything else if you can't find a job?

I'd say take a year out, have a think about what you want to do and you can go back to physics if you want to.
irishninja
Rep:
?
It would be a lot worse though if you got to the end of 2nd year physics and still wish you'd swapped course. You wouldn't get all the funding. What kind of jobs are you looking for? Useful ones?

I know sainsburys pay £9.20 so all is not lost even if you can't find a 'proper' job. Would you be interested in travelling or anything else if you can't find a job?

I'd say take a year out, have a think about what you want to do and you can go back to physics if you want to.
I live in sorta rural town so there are much less job options for me.

I've spoken to my advisor of studies and careers consultant and my advisor reckons since I like the subject and physics is considered a respectable degree theres sorta no harm in doing it. The careers consultant was sorta just pointing me towards masters courses.
The thing is I realise they unis dont want to lose students so they are likely to be biased.

I think that no matter what decision I make I'm gonna regret it.
replyplzbish
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I live in sorta rural town so there are much less job options for me.

I've spoken to my advisor of studies and careers consultant and my advisor reckons since I like the subject and physics is considered a respectable degree theres sorta no harm in doing it. The careers consultant was sorta just pointing me towards masters courses.
The thing is I realise they unis dont want to lose students so they are likely to be biased.

I think that no matter what decision I make I'm gonna regret it.
hmm fair enough, idk lol. good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.39%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.64%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.27%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed