Thinking of doing a level 4 foundation ICT Course? Watch

CollegeStudent99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I’ve currently done my first year of my level 3 ICT BTEC course. However, I do not want to continue my second year as I have got fed up with the college and the students there.

So I phoned up a different college and they were unable to offer me to do the second year of my Level 3 ICT BTEC course there as they do the modules in a different way and their students did two exams last year whereas I didn’t do any.

So they have offered me a Level 4 ICT foundation course that is being run by some University. I am planning to study at Burnley UCLAN. The course starts on the 16th of September.

Has anyone been to Burnley UCLAN?

Does anyone know much about this course?

Is it a lot harder than level three or just a little bit harder?

What will the students be like on the course i.e. will they be more mature as they are doing university course?

What would you recommend I do?
adam277
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Stay on your current course.
It's only one more year.

If you don't complete your btec and go on to a '4' course and then drop out you stand to lose alot.
Would be 2 years wasted and no qualification to show for it.
CollegeStudent99
Rep:
?
(Original post by adam277)
Stay on your current course.
It's only one more year.

If you don't complete your btec and go on to a '4' course and then drop out you stand to lose alot.
Would be 2 years wasted and no qualification to show for it.
The woman on the phone said that if I completed my level 4 foundation I wouldn’t need to go back and do the second year of my level 3 BTEC.
adam277
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's if what if it's worse and you dislike the people even more?

Regardless though a level 3 qualification is a good qualification to have.
With it you can apply to any university.

I dunno about your level 4 course. Hopefully someone else can shed light on that.
CollegeStudent99
Rep:
?

I dunno about your level 4 course. Hopefully someone else can shed light on that.
The woman on the phone said that six of the people had applied to go on the course. This is in comparison to at least 20 people on my level three course, most of who were noisy Asian lads who were on their phones most of the time and weren’t really interested in the work. On this course the people will probably be a bit older and therefore a bit more mature.
adam271
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have you got a link to this level 4 course?
CollegeStudent99
Rep:
?
(Original post by adam271)
Have you got a link to this level 4 course?
No, I can’t find a link on the college website but I’ve a got a few links from some universities /different colleges that might be it.

https://www.blackburn.ac.uk/course/d...fdsc/ST2570A15

http://www.leedstrinity.ac.uk/course...oundation-year
Last edited by CollegeStudent99; 1 month ago
adam277
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So A foundation year.
That's usually 4 years and I don't think you can transfer but I might be wrong.
It's a big commitment.

The benefit of finishing your btec is you can have your pick of universities and have a level 3 qualification at the end of it.
If you do that Foundation year your tied down to that university for 4 years.
CollegeStudent99
Rep:
?
So A foundation year.
That's usually 4 years and I don't think you can transfer but I might be wrong.
It's a big commitment.

The benefit of finishing your btec is you can have your pick of universities and have a level 3 qualification at the end of it.
If you do that Foundation year your tied down to that university for 4 years.
But everytime I think about going back to college I think about those annoying Asian brats and how they would laugh behind my back and say things like “alright mate” in a really sarcastic way.

Going to Burnley UCLAN with six other students seems like the more attractive option to me. But I’m wondering if I was to stick it out one more year at that college. would I still be able to do my level 4 foundation or would there be no point?

Also the woman on the phone didn’t mention anything about the course being four years long or being tied to any university, she just said it was one year long.
Certificate
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I know it's best if you like at least some of the people on your course, but for me, my main concern would be actually getting through that course and passing it, any friends I have by the end of it a bonus. :yy:
CollegeStudent99
Rep:
?
Okay, so I’ve decided to go onto the Level 4 Foundation Course at Burnley UCLAN and I’ve enrolled and I start on Monday. Wish me luck everyone.
CollegeStudent99
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
After provisionally enrolling on the course and going in for a day, I’m afraid I’ve changed my mind. It’s not that I don’t like the college or the staff there - it’s a nice environment and the staff were very friendly and helpful. It’s just that I don’t think I’m quite ready yet for a university/higher level course.

I have had a bad cold this week and going into college feeling groggy, extremely tired and coughing/blowing my nose wasn’t fun. I’ve realised that wherever I am, I am still going to have problems with my chronic tiredness and IBS, as well as feeling anxious at times. I thought that maybe it was the environment that was the problem.

Anyway, last week my mum rang the college and spoke to my tutor, she says that my tutor said the class was smaller and less noisy - down to 13 students rather than the 20 + last year. Also, I remember my tutor saying last year that the noisiest students would not be continuing on to the second year.

It’s a very difficult decision that I have had to make and I know that I will have some catching up to do as I will have missed 3 weeks of coursework. I just want to do what I think it’s best.

I’m still planning on doing the level 4 foundation course next year - so it’s not been a complete waste of time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (54)
25.84%
No (155)
74.16%

Watched Threads