artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by deutschbag)
If I was to be predicted A*A*A (and go for Oxford) would those grades be good enough to compensate for the GCSEs? Although obviously this is a total hypothetical - I haven't even had my first day of college yet - I'm really determined to work very hard for these grades. Thanks once more
It might depend on the course, however I don't think they really consider predictions other than checking if they meet their standard entry criteria - since after all, your school could overpredict you in order to make you more competitive for Oxbridge. Certainly medicine at Oxford only uses GCSEs and BMAT score to determine whether to invite to interview (assumming the predictions met their requirements and the applicant was taking the right subjects). I suspect most other courses will use a similar combination of GCSE results and pre-interview assessment score to determine whether they invite.
briana2585
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by VegetableMarvell)
Nah man this was this year. I didn't do AS.
Okie thanks! And also congrats for getting in!
deutschbag
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
It might depend on the course, however I don't think they really consider predictions other than checking if they meet their standard entry criteria - since after all, your school could overpredict you in order to make you more competitive for Oxbridge. Certainly medicine at Oxford only uses GCSEs and BMAT score to determine whether to invite to interview (assumming the predictions met their requirements and the applicant was taking the right subjects). I suspect most other courses will use a similar combination of GCSE results and pre-interview assessment score to determine whether they invite.
Well I guess I'll have to ace those assessments. Thanks so much you all you help mate
FloLemon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah I know those two are going to leave me in absolute tatters lmao. I'm not too sure on which degree, but some of the philosophy courses at oxford look immense. One of my heroes - Christopher Hitchens - studied there and read philosophy, politics, and economics so there's that too
I think philosophy and theology or philosophy and german look the best to me at the moment... but I'm really not all too sure.
How about you?
Ah I love Hitchens! Dawkins studied at Oxford I think too! I love Physics, and so Astrophysics will probably be my pathway.
deutschbag
Rep:
?
(Original post by FloLemon)
Ah I love Hitchens! Dawkins studied at Oxford I think too! I love Physics, and so Astrophysics will probably be my pathway.
Very cool! The God Delusion was the first seriously science-y book I read (about 2 years ago now) and I've been hooked on that stuff since. I want to get Hitchens' 'God is not Great' next :P
And I have a friend who wants to do exactly that (astrophysics at Oxford)!
FloLemon
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Very cool! The God Delusion was the first seriously science-y book I read (about 2 years ago now) and I've been hooked on that stuff since. I want to get Hitchens' 'God is not Great' next :P
And I have a friend who wants to do exactly that (astrophysics at Oxford)!
I’m deffo looking to Cambridge as imo it’s better haha. Have you read The Greatest show on earth? And Stephen Hawkins recent book? It’s got a chapter on Is there a God, and it’s so well written and interesting and isn’t too aggressive like Dawkins.
deutschbag
Rep:
?
I’m deffo looking to Cambridge as imo it’s better haha. Have you read The Greatest show on earth? And Stephen Hawkins recent book? It’s got a chapter on Is there a God, and it’s so well written and interesting and isn’t too aggressive like Dawkins.
I can't say I have but I'll put them on the list - I'm currently on Sapiens by Harari
FloLemon
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I can't say I have but I'll put them on the list - I'm currently on Sapiens by Harari
Oh my god Sapiens is so good!!! Enjoy it!! Any more recommendations for me?
deutschbag
Rep:
?
Oh my god Sapiens is so good!!! Enjoy it!! Any more recommendations for me?
Try 'The Elegant Universe' by Brian Greene. A top read (especially if you want to go into astrophysics)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (39)
7.59%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (299)
58.17%
No (176)
34.24%

Watched Threads