Completed my BEng. Now I want to do a MSc in something different. Watch

Tablue
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
How will this be viewed? I did Civil Engineering (BEng), but really didn't like it. I now want to change to a different engineering degree (MSc). Thing is though, my third year project was obviously to do with civil engineering and has nothing to do with the other engineering degree that I'm interested in. Any advice would be appreciated - thanks.
Mustafa0605
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It’s probably difficult to do another engineering degree as you have huge gaps in knowledge. But you could do things like construction management or railway engineering which are sub-parts of civil engineering
Nununu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You will still likely get in.

Write a good personal statement

They just want the money
Tablue
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thanks for your reply. I was a bit vague in the original post due to personal reasons, but it should be alright to say it after your comment. I'm planning to change to a Transport Engineering course, which is a sub-part of civil engineering. My third year dissertation had absolutely nothing to do with transport though and I'm having trouble googling for information since many people change course as soon as they enter their first year in university. Do you think a third year report matters that much? I'd be basically throwing a whole 20-30 credits away.

Edit: Typical that as soon as I type this up, I find five threads on a similar topic.
Last edited by Tablue; 1 week ago
TasteLikeChicken
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Tablue)
Thanks for your reply. I was a bit vague in the original post due to personal reasons, but it should be alright to say it after your comment. I'm planning to change to a Transport Engineering course, which is a sub-part of civil engineering. My third year dissertation had absolutely nothing to do with transport though and I'm having trouble googling for information since many people change course as soon as they enter their first year in university. Do you think a third year report matters that much? I'd be basically throwing a whole 20-30 credits away.

Edit: Typical that as soon as I type this up, I find five threads on a similar topic.
If transport engineering is a sub-set of civil, then I don't think you have anything to worry about, at all. Just make your personal statement good, and talk about why you're passionate about the course you're applying for and you should be good.
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Tablue)

Transport engineering comes under the broader field of civil engineering, so you should have absolutely no problems getting into a transport masters, providing you have a 2:1 (and even a 2:2 is probably fine for lots of places). Suitably qualified applicants don't generally have any problems with securing admissions to engineering courses.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19