The Student Room Group

GCSE Science

Hey! I've just started school today after a long summer break, and i've had some issues regarding GCSE science. I've been in triple science since year 7 and some reason i have been moved down to combined science which could be because of my year 10 mocks.. I go to science tutors and i have huge pile of notes that are required for triple award. I don't know what to do because my school have changed a rule and now they have 1 triple class among the whole year. Please help me on what i should do because i'm really passionate in science as i wanna do well, thank you! However, i'm now in Year 11 and only have about 7 months till my GCSEs and i need help fast!!!!
Original post by xXxCartierGrande
Hey! I've just started school today after a long summer break, and i've had some issues regarding GCSE science. I've been in triple science since year 7 and some reason i have been moved down to combined science which could be because of my year 10 mocks.. I go to science tutors and i have huge pile of notes that are required for triple award. I don't know what to do because my school have changed a rule and now they have 1 triple class among the whole year. Please help me on what i should do because i'm really passionate in science as i wanna do well, thank you! However, i'm now in Year 11 and only have about 7 months till my GCSEs and i need help fast!!!!

You could go to the head of Key Stage 4 or the Head of Science and asked to be changed.

Doing double science doesn't entirely restrict a career in science as most 6th forms accept double science instead of triple.
Original post by _Mia101
You could go to the head of Key Stage 4 or the Head of Science and asked to be changed.

Doing double science doesn't entirely restrict a career in science as most 6th forms accept double science instead of triple.

Okay, thank you will do! x
bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Original post by peachystudy
bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

??
ohh ah i just realised what it meant, im so sorry lol, ty!!! :smile:
ohh ah i just realised what it meant, im so sorry lol, ty!!! :smile:

no it's cool :smile:
Personally I think combined science is better as it better to come out with two good gcses rather than three bad ones - bad grades will affect your career more than having all three gcses but in the end if you think you can deal with the workload and do well then I say fight to get back onto triple science and prove your teachers wrong
Original post by s45436934
Personally I think combined science is better as it better to come out with two good gcses rather than three bad ones - bad grades will affect your career more than having all three gcses but in the end if you think you can deal with the workload and do well then I say fight to get back onto triple science and prove your teachers

aw thanks for the help! i feel like i can deal with the work so i guess i'll just fight to get back onto triple aha :biggrin: x
aw thanks for the help! i feel like i can deal with the work so i guess i'll just fight to get back onto triple aha :biggrin: x

You're welcome! i did the same with my a levels and ending up dropping one which was the right decision for me. I wish you the best of luck <3

Even if you want a career in science, it doesn't matter if you do combined. i did triple and i got 9 8 8, however people that did combined sciences in the set below me previously got 9;9 which is just as good if not better, it's less work and so far their jump up to a level is not too different to mine. if you work hard in science and do well then unis will recognise that, it doesn't matter if it's combined, if anything it's an opportunity to master the course as there's less to learn :O
Reply 11
you could ask to change, and if they still say no, put in the time and work to learn the syllabus yourself, get your teachers to help you on things you don't understand (or ask here/youtube it), and do past papers, then go back to school and force them to put you forwards for the triple award. Im sure if you're good enough and dedicated you'd get to move to triple anyways
Original post by s45436934
You're welcome! i did the same with my a levels and ending up dropping one which was the right decision for me. I wish you the best of luck <3

Thank you! Good luck to you too xx :smile:
Original post by BioChemLad
Even if you want a career in science, it doesn't matter if you do combined. i did triple and i got 9 8 8, however people that did combined sciences in the set below me previously got 9;9 which is just as good if not better, it's less work and so far their jump up to a level is not too different to mine. if you work hard in science and do well then unis will recognise that, it doesn't matter if it's combined, if anything it's an opportunity to master the course as there's less to learn :O

Awh im so proud of you, well done! xx + Yeah combined is less work since in triple the information is in more depth. Thank you so much for the help, i'm going to start thinking about it! :smile:
Original post by Astaera
you could ask to change, and if they still say no, put in the time and work to learn the syllabus yourself, get your teachers to help you on things you don't understand (or ask here/youtube it), and do past papers, then go back to school and force them to put you forwards for the triple award. Im sure if you're good enough and dedicated you'd get to move to triple anyways

Yeah i'm starting to print out a bunch of notes and i'm learning the syllabus myself now so i can show my teachers that i'm capable of doing triple and hopefully bunk up! Thank you so much for the help, it was very much appreciated.
:smile: x
Awh im so proud of you, well done! xx + Yeah combined is less work since in triple the information is in more depth. Thank you so much for the help, i'm going to start thinking about it! :smile:

Thankyou i worked hard but my mistake with chemistry was not bothering to learn the basics for some things, which cost me the 9 i was expected, make sure that you know which path to go down with calculations as this seemed to affect a few others' final grades in my class.

Quick Reply

Latest