Spam calls... keep safe out there! Watch

michael.d
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Evening all!

I've registered for a HSBC student account (£100 bonus, win!) and been having some interesting emails from "them", saying I have tried to withdraw some amount of money from a foreign country. I found an article with the email I received here: mirror.co.uk.

I've also been getting phone calls more and more recently with various scams - washing machine warranties, HMRC under-paid tax or tax returns, other bank account being compromised calls, etc. Just wanted to send everyone out another reminder that bad people are out there, and not all calls are what you expect! Caller IDs can also be easily spoofed to make it look like a legitimate company is calling you. You can Google the number if you're unsure (usually comes up with sites like scam numbers which will tell you other peoples reports on the number) but there are loads of websites and even apps that will tell you whether a call is likely to be a scam or not.

I'd love to see some more tips on how to avoid scams and spams, I'm sure it'll help someone else in the long run too!

Stay safe out there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?